"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cook Dishes for the Week..end up ordering take out :-(

On Sundays I'll bake a couple of chicken or turkey breasts and a casserole dish. It's only me and the plan is everything I've cooked will last through the week.

I keep frozen veggies and other boxed items (rice, mac n cheese, etc) to have as sides.

By Tuesday, I'm tired of everything and end up ordering take out. I'm trying live on a budget, unsuccessfully :-(

So, I was thinking of cooking all of my faves (beef patties, crab cakes, fried chicken, etc) and freeze them. Has anyone tried this and didn't like the results?

Do you have a better suggestion?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Are you just eating plain cooked chicken with side of veggies? That sounds boring... Chicken breast takes so little time to cook maybe try making it in different ways...

I guess that could have been more helpful. What flavors do
U like?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Have a look around the threads here! There are so many great recipes, and many freeze well.

BTW, welcome to DC!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Ah, the forums! There are do many! I will set time aside tomorrow and acquaint myself with them. Siegal, you gave me a great idea! I just remembered Trader Joes sells frozen chicken breasts that defrost easily. I can prepare something different each night.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTanTriGirl
Ah, the forums! There are do many! I will set time aside tomorrow and acquaint myself with them. Siegal, you gave me a great idea! I just remembered Trader Joes sells frozen chicken breasts that defrost easily. I can prepare something different each night.

Thanks!
Great. I love chicken - I use boneless thighs but do it different often - soy sauce, Tomato sauce, cheese and ranch, tehina and pine nuts, garlic butter and rosemary, curry, etc
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you want to avoid cooking every weekday or will it be ok if you cook every other day?

If you cook a couple of dishes is a larger quantity and freeze meal-sized portions, that will provide some future meals. The trick is to have a variety of meals frozen. If you do cook during the week, cooking a double portion often takes no longer and gives you another meal to freeze.

This way you will have a variety of meals to choose from and freshly cooked meals in between.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love to spend a couple of days cooking, but once I've done it, I'm often in the mood for something else. I like stocking my freezer, but keep an open mind for a quick dinner when I'm feeling inspired, or hungry for something else.

I try to spend a few days in a row enjoying my pre-cooked meals, just so I can enjoy not having a messy kitchen to deal with.

BTW, fried chicken doesn't really freeze well, wait until you're hungry for them.

Are you limited by time that you feel you have to cook ahead, or is it that you have a day off and that's what you like to do?

If that's the case, try making a pot of beans with smoked meats, where the meal isn't truly ready until the next day after refrigerating overnight. Many dishes are that way.

I'm lucky that I only have myself to please, and try to balance my love of cooking with room in the freezer.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Flour Child

You mentioned "budget" - A recent study shows that the average family of four throws out $2,000 worth of unused food per year so, a suggestion might be to only buy what you can eat and don't let it expire in the freezer.

Another suggestion...in-season ingredients are cheaper. Day old specials are not worth it. As far as chicken goes, I wouldn't try to save there. Paying extra for Free Range, hormone-free (maybe even organic) fresh chicken is well worth it. It tastes better and is healthier for you.

You can save by not buying packaged processed foods and cutting out snacks, sodas, etc. I drink mostly water and tea.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherflores50 View Post
This weakened I have planed a picnic with some close friends. It is the plane that each person going to the picnic have to take at least two delicious snacks item with them. So I need some recipes around here help please.
You might want to create a separate thread for this, as it has very little, if anything to do with the topic of this thread.

Also, spell check.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT

You might want to create a separate thread for this, as it has very little, if anything to do with the topic of this thread.

Also, spell check.
I think misspelled words add character ;) plus spell check doesn't always help if your spelling skills are not so great...don't need to call people out on it.

Tags
cook