"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Thinly sliced cold tri tip is what I like. Awesome deli meat.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a roast like that in reasonable shape for slicing with my Krupps. I believe that cut has more fat in it. Eye round and top rounds are much more lean (almost too lean). While they are still tasty, I'm looking for more flavorful cuts now (fat content) for making deli meat.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Caslon, have you ever considered rolling and tying those odd-shaped roasts before cooking? Not only will that give you the kind of shape you're looking for, but you can use all sorts of flavorings as fillings. Or even stuff them.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I don't know about making special food for deli cuts, but here's some good news: JC Penney has a Cook's brand meat slicer on sale for $40!!!

I bought one for my son and is fiancee. I already have one, and use it to slice corned beef, turkey breast, and prime rib. Tastes pretty close to the deli to me, plus it doesn't have a ton of salt and preservatives in it.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Caslon, have you ever considered rolling and tying those odd-shaped roasts before cooking? Not only will that give you the kind of shape you're looking for, but you can use all sorts of flavorings as fillings. Or even stuff them.
I would think the roll would fall apart upon slicing. That's why I'm somewhat intrigued about the aboved mentioned loaf method. I had never head of that before. That way (as my thinking goes), I could layer oddly shaped slices that would end up in something more substantial (holding together) when I go to thin slice it.

This is the first I ever heard of loafing slices to be able to slice again. Wouldn't the slices tend not to hold together enough to run thru a meat slicer?

The above tip about weighting them down seems like a good one. Also, adding gelatin (Longweed) for that extra holding power. But can you really hold that made up thing with your hands? on a slicer? without it falling apart after slicing it and handling it to the the bread?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Master Chef

Think of meat loaf, hot dogs, head cheese, etc. These are "meats" that are made of individual meat pieces, either ground or cut up, that are cooked together. In the cooking process (especially in the head cheese) the collagen that melts our of connecting tissue, and cartilage form bonds with the meat tissue, gluing it together, so to speak.

And no, I didn't have to weight anything down when making my pate'. It was simply baked until well done all the way through. It sliced very nicely. But your knife does have to be very sharp.

The beauty of this method is that it allows versatility. If yo wanted, you could cut the meat pieces short, and layer 1/3 of it with pork, 1/3 of it with beef, and 1/3 of it as beef, all laid end to end. Add small bits of veggies and seasonings as required by each part. Make sure there are no gaps in the loaf, and bake. You then have three different luncheon meats from one loaf.

You can be extremely creative, using cracked pepper in your loaf, or minced garlic, or onion, whatever you want.

Oh, and another addition to your oaf recipe that will help hold everything together is a raw egg mixed into the meat. You won't be able to tell it's there. Try to cut the meat strips with the meat grain. That way, they are layered with the meat grain oriented on the long axis. You will be slicing against the grain, which will make your meat slices tender and delectable.

oh, and just so's you knows, the loaf I made was comprised of chicken and pork, layered in a buttered loaf pan and seasoned with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. It was very good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Caslon: For my roast beef I just use salt pepper rosemary and garlic powder. Wrap it and set it in the fridge overnight. In the oven at 500F for 15 to sear and 350F till you hit your desired internal temp. The best juiciest meat you've ever had!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

If you are a little bit adventursome, you might want to try to corn beef briskets. Prep time is short, but it takes a couple of weeks to cure. Way better than the store bought stuff. I do it with a dry rub, no water added. Cure in a ziplock bag.

If you are really advetursome, take the corned beef, smoke it, and turn it into pastrami.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
Caslon: For my roast beef I just use salt pepper rosemary and garlic powder. Wrap it and set it in the fridge overnight. In the oven at 500F for 15 to sear and 350F till you hit your desired internal temp. The best juiciest meat you've ever had!
Thanks. I've been meaning to try that hot start method for roasts. I have a 1.89lb eye round roast to try it out on. I also have a thru the door thermometer probe. I hope I take it out at the right temp. I'm dismayed when it turns out without much redness (med).

My roasts at 325F work ok, and the roast has a nice redness at the center that becomes not so red and nice towards the outside. Perhaps searing the outside at 500F will allow the roast not to look like a cross section of the earths core, but rather cook all one nice color inside (without being undercooked too). Here's hoping. At what internal temp do you like to remove it from the oven and let it self cook a bit longer (for med-rare)? I keep trying for just beyond rare for nice and juicy red-pink, but not undercooked and definately not anywhere near medium.

Tags
homemade, meat