"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would want a proper Danish smørbrødsbord. That would have so many tasty foods (lots of kinds of smoked fish, several kinds of smoked fish, garnishes, cold cuts, good cheeses), good bread, Danish butter, and some hot dishes. I could just pick and choose.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #12
Master Chef

Taxlady, if you ever get to California, hit a town called Solvang.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It's about 1/2 hour drive north of Santa Barbara on Coast Highway 101. Great little Danish town with very good food. There is also a Pea Soup Andersen's nearby. And check out the mission as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I've been there a couple of times. I remember it as a hokey version of 19th century Denmark.

As to food, the thing that stands out in my memory was sandwiches that my parents ordered. They looked beautiful, even though they weren't open-face. My mum lifted the top slice of bread and there were no cold cuts in the middle. It was all around the edges for show.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've been there a couple of times. I remember it as a hokey version of 19th century Denmark.

As to food, the thing that stands out in my memory was sandwiches that my parents ordered. They looked beautiful, even though they weren't open-face. My mum lifted the top slice of bread and there were no cold cuts in the middle. It was all around the edges for show.
That sounds like Subway. What you see on TV is NOT what you get!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

This isn't a question I can answer until the time comes to order that last meal. It will all depend on what kind of mood I'm in and what I have a craving for.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

I would choose things to remind me of great times with family and friends. Of course, since pancakes are in my blood, I'd have to have pancakes, with real maple syrup, and premium breakfast sausage, an egg poached in butter and steam, from a poaching pan, a grilled cheese sandwich, thick with hot and gooey Velveeta, a tough sirloin, like my Mom used to make them, a fresh, whole brookie, dredged in flour and pan fried in 2 inches of hot oil, then salted, one chicken thigh, fried with my DW and MIL's technique, a couple tbs. of my Dad's goulash, and some really good baked beans. From my DW alone, we'd have to have sloppy joe's, made from ground beef and Campbell's Tomato Soup. There would have to be corn on the cob, crispy, fresh, and hot, dripping with butter, and my DIL's potato rolls. To remember my eldest DD, Swordfish kabobs. From my youngest DD, some of her soups, made from various cans of veggies, opened and thrown into a pot, with a little seasoning. From Eldest DS, he likes to make steak, New York Strip, and from his younger brother, any cold cut sandwich with cheese, as he loved the Christmas "Feast" that was made up of several lunch meats, several cheeses, multiple kinds of bread, condiments, and veggies. Finally, I would want a liverwurst sandwich, made with Volwurth's liverwurst, on Bunny Bread brand white bread, with Miracle Whip, a couple slices of good tomato, and iceberg lettuce my favorite sandwich after fishing a trout stream with my Dad. Of course, this last meal would be spread out over a whole day, maybe two, eating a bit here, and a bit there.

Though I love good food, and have many foods better than those listed above, the memories that these foods would create would be far more important than the food itself.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Head Chef

I have been low carbing, (quite sucessfully, I might add--my blood glucose is well within normal) so I want bread. Good, crusty bread, and lots of butter.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
Head Chef

Last meal on Earth as in about to be executed? Not to me morbid, but this guy who killed 2 kids for their cheesburgers was given a last meal. He acknowledged a nod to his victims family at his time, like he was sorry. Yet, this is what he had and was granted and ate for his last meal on earth.

1 large bucket of Kentucky fried chicken, 1 large Dominos pizza, 4 cokes and 5 chocolate bars.

Makes me wonder how repentent he was, tho his spiritual advisor said he was.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

omg, i can't believe i forgot fried chicken!!!

knowing my luck i'll come back as a fryer not a roaster.

if i'm free range, i hope i get a seat by the door...

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote