"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Saturday morning I make a shopping list considering what I already have in the freezer, planning meals that use different proteins and are a mix of "meat, starch, veggie" meals and stews/soups/pasta dishes. I have my laptop open to RECIPES so I can ensure I buy all the ingredients I need. Then we shop, cook, eat.

I try to mix cuisines, types of meats, starches and veggies. At least once a week lately, SO wants to have a salad for dinner so I have a duck breast (which she hates) or something else she doesn't like.

Other times we wing it and/or go out.

Welcome back, Andy!

Many times I will make different things for DH and I. Otherwise, I would never get to eat some of the things I like that he would never try.

For 30+ years there has been a list and a pen on the counter where we jot down things as we run out, or nearly run out. When we go to the store, I just grab that list to make sure I at least get those things.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Welcome back, Andy!...

Thanks Carol but I'm still in Aruba. I posted that during breakfast and now I'm having lunch.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Skilletlicker, do you have a smart phone or a tablet?
No but I'm going to have to get one or the other.
Quote:
Cheryl J
I'm kind of resistant to change (or so my daughter tells me ), so I don't use the grocery apps. But I can see where they would be very helpful for those shopping for families. I don't buy very much weekly, mainly perishable produce, since I'm only shopping for one.

I have a dry erase board on my fridge and write down things as I use them and think of them. Then when I leave the house to go shopping, I take a picture of the dry erase board with my cellphone, and there's my list.

As far as planning, I do as others here have said and check what's in my freezer and what's on sale, and try to work around that. I use the heck out of my foodsaver for breaking down larger amounts of chicken and meats into useable amounts for one.
I like Cheryl's ideal of a pic of the whiteboard. Also, all the stores now charge extra if you don't have their customer inconvenience card and the new wrinkle is loading coupons onto your card so you, supposedly, get the discount without cutting a coupon out of the paper. Problem is, without those little paper snippets how do you know what coupons you have unless you can view it online right there in the grocery isle.
Having the grocery list on everybody's phone would be great but like Cheryl I'm shopping for one. Haven't invested in a food saver but I break down those family packs and pork shoulders into smaller units for the freezer.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm entering this discussion a little late in the game but I will share what I do.

Near the end of each year it seems we're slammed with calendars, which is good because I choose one of them that has a lot of open space for each day of the week. This become my "menu" calendar. Then the planning begins.

I plan menus for a month at a time, beginning by going in week increments. Of the seven days in each week I begin by writing either a C (poultry), B (beef), F (fish), M (meatless), L (lamb), LO (leftovers), P (pork) in the upper corner of each day. I do this throughout the whole month and try to space out each entree type so there is plenty of time between having one or another.

Once I've made the entree type notations, I go to my file of "recipes to try" and see which ones will fit. Once I do this, I can check the ingredients needed and make a list, by the week, and have a rough grocery list set up. Then, I check the pantry, refrigerator and freezer for some of the items and scratch off the ones already in my stock.

By doing this I can take advantage of specials in the market and also include fun meals for times like Valentine's Day, St. Patty's Day, etc.

We get a variety of entrees and almost never have the same-old, same-old syndrome.

In past years I have taken one of the less active months and planned a whole month of nothing but our favorites. That was a blast.

This may sound like a lot of work but, once I established my plan, it comes easy. And looking back on past years' calendars really is fun.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use the Our Groceries app. I have various lists, one for regular grocery shopping, one for Costco, Asian market, Cozumel, non-grocery, etc. DH was hard to convert, he would copy the Our Groceries list onto little post-it notes, and lose them, defeating the whole purpose. Now I've trained him to use his iPhone app, and he deletes as he picks up stuff.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
... I plan menus for a month at a time, beginning by going in week increments. Of the seven days in each week I begin by writing either a C (poultry), B (beef), F (fish), M (meatless), L (lamb), LO (leftovers), P (pork) in the upper corner of each day. I do this throughout the whole month and try to space out each entree type so there is plenty of time between having one or another.
This may sound like a lot of work but, once I established my plan, it comes easy. And looking back on past years' calendars really is fun.
It doesn't sound like a lot of work. It sounds brilliant. I think the self imposed discipline is the key. It could just as easily be C (cajun), B (barbeque), F (french). Or New Recipe, Old favorite, Old favorite, NOONOO.

Thanks again. Glad you're still here. Hope all is well in with you.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

A good solution for me

I have been using some software called Cook'n. It is really useful for my meal planning and grocery shopping. It lets me plan all my meals and then it lets me create a shopping list based on the meals in my menu. It has saved me a lot of time and has made my meal planning a lot quicker and easier. You can check it out and see if it might help make it easier for you too.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipe Lova View Post
I have been using some software called Cook'n. It is really useful for my meal planning and grocery shopping. It lets me plan all my meals and then it lets me create a shopping list based on the meals in my menu. It has saved me a lot of time and has made my meal planning a lot quicker and easier. You can check it out and see if it might help make it easier for you too.
Does this product, or for that matter any of these planning products, allow you to account for what you have on hand before creating a shopping list?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Does this product, or for that matter any of these planning products, allow you to account for what you have on hand before creating a shopping list?
Our Groceries does. When you say to add the items in a recipe to a shopping list it highlights each item and asks which list to add it to. It has a button for skip item.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Our Groceries does. When you say to add the items in a recipe to a shopping list it highlights each item and asks which list to add it to. It has a button for skip item.
I haven't even begun to tap all the features of Our Groceries. Great little app!

Tags
menu