"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

St. Patty's Day dinner

Hello,

I have to cook a special for our bar and grille on Saturday (St. Patty's Day). I'm to do corned beef, carrots, cabbage, and red potatoes. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how exactly I should do the cabbage. Or, really, any recommendations on how to do it all . It's just that the cabbage really has me wondering...do I just cook it up and serve a wedge of it? Or do I flavor it somehow?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_mizanin View Post
Hello,

I have to cook a special for our bar and grille on Saturday (St. Patty's Day). I'm to do corned beef, carrots, cabbage, and red potatoes. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for how exactly I should do the cabbage. Or, really, any recommendations on how to do it all . It's just that the cabbage really has me wondering...do I just cook it up and serve a wedge of it? Or do I flavor it somehow?
As long as the patrons keep tilting the pints, it won't matter how you cook it! As far as the cabbage, colcannon me lad!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

Boil the veggies in the corned beef broth.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
That's what I do too. It adds plenty of flavor.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Half Baked

I have been sateeing the cabbage in a pan with a little butter,oil and a little chopped onion. I like it better and it has more flavor.

I have also been covering the corned beef with a stone ground mustard and baking it in the oven with some guiness on a low heat in a foil pouch.

Last time I made smashed potatoes instead of boiled and carrot soup instead of boiled.

If you want cheap and easy throw everything but the cabbage in a big pot with some beer and water and simmer for about 3-4 hours. throw the cabbage in the last half hour.

I guess it would depend on fancy the place is and how many are expected vs your comfort level. You will probably be feeding alot of inebriated people anyway.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

make sure you cut the cabbage heads into quarters before boiling in the seasoned corned beef water.

the first time i made cb & cabbage i put a whole head of cabbage in the pot with the meat and potatoes. the meat was falling apart and the potatoes disintegrated by the time the center of the cabbage was cooked.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Master Chef

I like cabbage with caraway seeds added for some additional flavor.

In a bar on St. Pat's I would cook the veggies in the corned beef water. I would cook the corned beef the day before and chill it so it can be sliced easily then reheat it in the oven using foil covered pans with a little juice. I would cook the veggies on the day of using the saved juice. If you refrigerate the juice you can remove the fat prior to cooking the veggies. If you forget to save the juice use water with some ham soup base.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I do that, too. Works for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

I too cook the cabbage in with the corned beef, in a slow cooker. I add onion and quartered onions. No other seasonings required.

Two other popular cabbage presentations:
1. saute the cabbage in bacon grease.
2. Steam the cabbage leaves.

Steaming is my new, favorite way to cook cabbage. It gives the cabbage such a bright color and fresh flavor. I then put a little butter and salt on it. You could steam the cabbage leaves, then soon broth from the corned beef over it on the plate, for seasoning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
As far as the cabbage, colcannon me lad!
I prefer that for more of the leftovers. . . ans though it has cabbage in it, it is a majority potato, not cabbage so much.

Tags
dinner