"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
Executive Chef

...yeah, and paula deen has diabetes now....

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
I have it too and I did not get it from a ho cake!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I grew up eating it - yes VERY unhealthy eating what we called turnover bread, I agree. My grandmother made them so good though. Hot off the skillet just like pancakes. She used part oil and part butter and they would have those crispy edges with a slight buttery taste, oh my, the memories. Good with butter and jelly or gravy or side bread, or just plain to snack on. I rarely indulge in such now. It's fun to fantasize about though, & share with those who might be interested.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
The reason she decided to make it known now is because she has become the spokesperson for a Drug Company that sells pills for Type 2 for diabetics.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

When my kids were in grammer school, cereal was usually the breakfast of the day. If I felt like it, and got up early enough, I would make scrambled (strangled eggs according to my kids) for everyone. They also had toast with them. One kids was in charge of the four slice toaster and another one the butter.

On Sunday mornings, before heading out to church, I made a big breakfast for all. Eggs of their choice, and bacon done in the oven. There was also home fries along with toast. Of course there was always one that wanted poached eggs. Then you would hear a chorus of poached eggs. It never failed. So I already had the pan of water simmering. I also tried to have juice in the house. Usually tomato. Today, they all still try to have a full breakfast. They never got into the habit of just a cup of coffee and run out the door. It is just a matter of setting the alarm a little bit earier.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Third shifter here. It's 8:12 P.M. and I'm now thinking if I had time I'd like to do some grilled fruit kabobs and a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich on banana nut loaf. And maybe some sausage or Bacon - yeah, I'm starvin'. Not thinking with my brain, but with my stomach.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Third shifter here. It's 8:12 P.M. and I'm now thinking if I had time I'd like to do some grilled fruit kabobs and a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich on banana nut loaf. And maybe some sausage or Bacon - yeah, I'm starvin'. Not thinking with my brain, but with my stomach.
I like to put the bacon in the peanut butter and banana sandwich. Then listen to old Elvis tunes while I eat it. I have never had it on banana nut loaf though, sounds good!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #38
Senior Cook

If time and calories were no issue,

I'd have a spiral ham in the oven, Potato pancakes with sour cream and Belgian waffles with peaches and whip. Lots of black coffee and o.j.

On day 2, I'd have a recipe I saw on the Great Chef's tv series years ago, Brie stuffed French toast with banana walnut maple syrup, and more spiral ham.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #39
Sous Chef

If time or calories did not count:

Potatoes cooked in duck fat
Fried eggs with runny yolks and buttered toast.
Or homemade sticky buns- made them once soooo awesome but take 3 hours to rise

Tags
breakfast