Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I worked our library's annual book sale. It is a (real book) reader's delight. During the last few hours of the sale we sell any bag of books for $5, any box $10. What makes me smile is grandparents scarfing up kiddie books to read to their brood. But more than that, the kids, I think 8-16 year old in the hours I worked, who really, really got into it. One young man (I'd say around 9 or so) seemed nonchalant when he walked in with grandpa, but with a huge grin when he walked out with a grocery bag full of books. There was the gal I'd take for 16 or so who collected jigsaw puzzles, the 11 year old who told someone, "Oh, I really am not fond of that author," in such a manner I cracked up. I worked the last shift of the sale and there were some old-fashioned games left that I thought were doomed for the garbage heap, but they were both swooped up by young people who were into non-computer-games. Maybe it's a retro-fad, old games and puzzles? Anyway, great fun.

Claire , I thought of you this morning when I was listening to WGN radio. They have a spot where you call in tell what is making you happy today. A man called in and said that him and his girlfriend were going to Galena for the weekend. And the announcer said that would make him happy too.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 131
It is my birthday and my mother is now in a nursing home. My brother managed to get mum to sign the card.

Just sitting here at the computer and noticed out the window, in the big tree in our backyard, a woodpecker. When all of a sudden a beautiful Cardinal landed almost right next to him. So special to see them both up so close.

My stepdaughter who lived in Netherlands for a bit just nutted up over this both for the cute pup and hearing the language. Thanks.

While I admire and appreciate the drug-sniffing dogs, this is so much kinder and gentler.

I loved watching that. What a sweet dog.

The young woman whom we have taken in several times over the years and we are now helping out with her two children who were traumatized by their father, called me last night to tell me that TB and I are the only ones who have stuck by her no matter how much her kids have acted up and how bad things have looked in her life. Considering we had to use tough love and kick her and her new husband at the time out of our house, this was something wonderful to hear. She totally agrees with what we did back then and wishes she could have seen what was happening (all of us have 20/20 hindsight).

The smile that came across my face when she said this was a little bittersweet. Not because I didn't find her sincere, she completely was. It was the fact that she couldn't say that about her own parents and other family members. And even people from her church are not helping.

I love this young mother as if she was my own daughter and these kids as my grandchildren. They may be hard to handle, but when they run and give me a big hug, I melt.

This little family gives me smiles just thinking about them.

Got my order today from Amazon. I ordered a small pocker radio, an Amish Christmas Cookbook, a book called Tales Of Mystery and The Supernatural and a jar of Bacon Salt that buckytom told me about. I had to order it because there wasn't any here in the stores were I live. I used it on my sandwich today and it was very good.

Back
Top Bottom