"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #4861
Certified Pretend Chef

Steven started kindergarten last month. For the first time I picked him up from school and brought him home until a parent came to pick him up after school. It was so cool seeing him walking out of the school with his backpack on.

As soon as we arrived home, he opened his backpack, took out his homework and asked me to read the instructions so he could do it.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #4862
Certified Cake Maniac

Andy, that is so cool. I love hearing about you and Steven!

I belong to a cake community and while I don't spend even half as much time there as I do here, I have met some incredible people. One is a lady from the middle east (can't mention too much) who is a phenomenal decorator but was stifled in her homeland. She and her family have been trying to emigrate to Canada for awhile and arrived in Vancouver last month. Yesterday we talked on the phone for the first time and it was so exciting. I am going to have tea with her next week and then I am going to show her around...the best ethnic food shops, cake decorating supplies, etc. (all the essentials ) This gets me out and about so is a total win/win situation full of smiles!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #4863
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Steven started kindergarten last month. For the first time I picked him up from school and brought him home until a parent came to pick him up after school. It was so cool seeing him walking out of the school with his backpack on.

As soon as we arrived home, he opened his backpack, took out his homework and asked me to read the instructions so he could do it.
There is something special about those first school days. And one for Steven.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #4864
Chef Extraordinaire

That is lovely Andy
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #4865
Executive Chef

My son called to tell me about my grandson's 1st grade conferences.
Last year in kindergarten my grandson had a terrible time. He and several other boys in the class were sent to the principal's office several times for misbehaving. The teacher didn't seem to know how to handle her classroom. My grandson didn't like school at all and cried about going. This year he loves school and feels smart. His teacher is very caring and he hasn't had to get sent to the office. She seems to have control of the class, and those same energetic boys. He has the highest score of all the students in math, and the teacher has given him all sorts of praise! My son and daughter in law came home from conferences so happy-that makes me smile!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #4866
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Andy,
you have one wonderful young man there. Be the proud PA. Hug him for me. He is a special boy.
kades
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #4867
Certified Cake Maniac

I woke up this morning to find, as usual, that the dogs had sneaked up onto the bed. I looked a little closer and saw that Joie had one front paw resting over one of his favourite toys of late....a little leg off of one of their "stuffed" toys. His head was resting on the overstuffed foot! Even though neither dogs nor toys are supposed to be on the bed, I was grinning from ear to ear!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #4868
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I woke up this morning to find, as usual, that the dogs had sneaked up onto the bed. I looked a little closer and saw that Joie had one front paw resting over one of his favourite toys of late....a little leg off of one of their "stuffed" toys. His head was resting on the overstuffed foot! Even though neither dogs nor toys are supposed to be on the bed, I was grinning from ear to ear!

i'm grinning right along with you, lp, at that sweetly twisted doggy image.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #4869
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm grinning right along with you, lp, at that sweetly twisted doggy image.
+1
Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #4870
Sous Chef

This was Homecoming week at school. There were a lot of spirit competitions over the week & today was purely a fun day. The kids in the school were really good to my special ed kids. One of my boys likes to "dance" so we got him on the floor during a dance off. When he was chosen as winner the whole school cheered for him. He was thrilled with the 2 cookies at lunch ad his prize. He loves food. Today had a carnival with rides & a dunk tank where students could try to dunk some teachers. They made sure 2 of my kids dunked a coach. They gave them cotton candy if they didn't have money to buy it. In spite of some of my students' odd behaviors, the student body was very supportive. I'm proud of them. It made a fun day for all.

« Finally | - »