"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #5601
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Katie, that is so pretty! Never thought that I could put them outside though. Hm, learn sumthin' new every day!

If you break the person's rib you did it right? Considering the alternative, though, it's a small pain to put up with. That's really neat that your sis reacted so quickly. Guess helping people runs in the family.
If you think about it, the heart is located behind the ribs. One of the jobs of the ribs is to protect your major organs like the lungs and heart. You HAVE to apply strong pressure through the ribs in order to put pressure on the heart. My youngest during his paramedic days has broken a lot of ribs. He told me that more than often he has had to give that intial punch to the chest more than once until he heard that crack of the ribs. When a family member is standing near, they are often horrified.

BTW do any of you know how to do CPR properly? In Seattle, they hold regular CPR classes in the firehouses. It is a walk-in program. Seattle has been voted the best place to have a heart attack. More than half of the population have taken the classes and are certified to apply CPR.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #5602
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
... Sounds like with the broken ribs she was doing it right! I'm very proud of her!

This explains why my ribs hurt so much when I woke up from my HA. I was alternatively told it was the CPR or the AED that caused it.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #5603
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This explains why my ribs hurt so much when I woke up from my HA. I was alternatively told it was the CPR or the AED that caused it.
Andy, when I see CPR given on TV shows, I have to laugh. You need to be doing it a heck of a lot faster. Fast enough that you can get out of breath while doing the pushes. You have to do them hard and fast enough to reach the heart.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #5604
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You do the compressions to the beat in the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" and on an adult you have to move that rib cage at least by two inches to get at the heart.

Hands Only CPR

Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #5605
Chef Extraordinaire

i've performed cpr twice as a lifeguard (both successfull) and once after a lady went into arrest after leaving church (although an equal danger was that she face planted on the steps while cutting out early and tore her nose from her face and was bleeding profusely. thankfully, emt's showed up in just minutes), i never broke a rib.

ok, so every case is different, and some are worse than others, but everything i've been taught is broken ribs are fairly normal because of how aggressive (adrenaline) the rescuer feels while trying to save a life, and while it's fairly common, it's not the correct or expected thing to do.
pf, you may have incorrectly stated the case.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #5606
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You do the compressions to the beat in the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" and on an adult you have to move that rib cage at least by two inches to get at the heart.

Hands Only CPR

Now you understand why your ribs hurt Andy. And you know why the ribs break. For small children and babies there is a different procedure.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #5607
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Also depends on the age of the person, you can't expect ribs to stay intact in little old folks whose bones are brittle.

And I would never tell my sister that she should not have broken ribs...30% of people who receive CPR end up with broken ribs from professionals who have been trained and do CPR at least weekly.

CPR is not done on someone who is alive...that person is dead...what you are doing, even if there is hand misplacement, is better than DEAD. Anything you can do is better than doing nothing.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #5608
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
....she face planted on the steps while cutting out early and tore her nose from her face and was bleeding profusely. thankfully, emt's showed up in just minutes)...
Hmm, cut out early? Guardian angel must have tripped her.

PF, makes perfect sense that a rib might crack but because I've never given/gotten CPR it never occurred to me. Oh, and thanks for posting the video. Didn't even have to watch it and I've got the song firmly planted as an earworm. Uh-oh, hope it doesn't keep me awake tonight.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #5609
Chef Extraordinaire

I smile every time my cell phone rings My new default ringtone is "Hey Soul Sista" by Train. So when someone calls, it goes "Hey-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay!" hee hee!
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bxAUJ...%3DbxAUJt4VILg
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #5610
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I smile every time my cell phone rings My new default ringtone is "Hey Soul Sista" by Train. So when someone calls, it goes "Hey-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay!" hee hee!
YouTube
LOL!!!

One of the nurses had her ringtone Queens, "Another One Bites The Dust" I was with her the night her Mother died (battling pervasive spinal cancer). While we were talking about particulars, her phone rang...she looked at it and said, "I guess I should change that..."