"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #6861
Master Chef

When our kids were small we took them to Sea World of Ohio. I absolutely fell in love with the otters. Wanted a pet otter. Yeah, that would fly. Years later, I'm always happy to waste (too much) time watching otter videos.

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago just got this little orphaned otter. The video is of them teaching to swim. I dare you to watch this and not crack a smile.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #6862
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just love that baby, have watched the video about 7 times so far.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #6863
Head Chef

Wink

As some of you may know, I used to do stand up comedy. Something that I would have used for comedy material occurred today.

When I visited mum today ( it was one of her better days), an organised band of singers were visiting the wards (accompanied by a guitarist). They were singing "God will take care of you"...and were giving benevolent smiles. Mum liked it. The thought occurred to me that if they saw someone had flatlined, they may quickly switch over to singing "knock, knock knocking on heaven's door"

Old 11-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #6864
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
As some of you may know, I used to do stand up comedy. Something that I would have used for comedy material occurred today.

When I visited mum today ( it was one of her better days), an organised band of singers were visiting the wards (accompanied by a guitarist). They were singing "God will take care of you"...and were giving benevolent smiles. Mum liked it. The thought occurred to me that if they saw someone had flatlined, they may quickly switch over to singing "knock, knock knocking on heaven's door"
In the same vein...I was caring for a co-worker's Mother at the End-of-Life. Her Mother had just died when the co-worker's cell phone rang...her ringtone..."Another One Bites The Dust".
Old 11-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #6865
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
In the same vein...I was caring for a co-worker's Mother at the End-of-Life. Her Mother had just died when the co-worker's cell phone rang...her ringtone..."Another One Bites The Dust".
Reminds me of Rose Nyland (Betty White) and the episode where "he bought the farm." The man she had in her bed had died.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #6866
Master Chef

I bought my first bag of Brach's Peppermint Christmas Nougats of the season. Look forward to them every year. :-)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #6867
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I bought my first bag of Brach's Peppermint Christmas Nougats of the season. Look forward to them every year. :-)
Like me and my Easter Peeps. I have a friend that finds the package that only has two in them. That is plenty for me.

I love the Brach's caramel with the cream centers. I can't stop eating them when I start, so I never by them.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #6868
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Like me and my Easter Peeps. I have a friend that finds the package that only has two in them. That is plenty for me.

I love the Brach's caramel with the cream centers. I can't stop eating them when I start, so I never by them.

What is your favorite candy bar? My is 5th Avenue. They are hard to find here were I live. I see you can buy them on Amazon but I don't want to buy that many.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #6869
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls...
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #6870
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
What is your favorite candy bar? My is 5th Avenue. They are hard to find here were I live. I see you can buy them on Amazon but I don't want to buy that many.
Mounds and York Peppermint Patty. Of the two I would choose the Mounds over the YPP. The only problem with that bar is that it is so sweet, that I have trouble finishing the first bar. I am not used to eating sweets and when I do, I can taste the sugar immediately. It is like I had eaten a five pound bag of sugar. That is why I eat only one each year.