"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #7001
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Yeah! Our farmers market is opening up today for the season.
Ours, too! Waiting to get moving and ride down to the river market. Should take about 1.5 hours round trip with time to shop. Riding the bike, I can't overdo the spending part.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #7002
Master Chef

New kitchen goodies! Happy Mother's Day to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-06 22.18.29.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	22845  

Old 05-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #7003
Chef Extraordinaire

Yum, CG! I've never heard of Grains of Paradise. What is it? How do you plan to use it?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #7004
Master Chef

They're a trendy spice that Alton Brown was hyping a while back. Himself saw one of those short clips of Alton's on Hulu, so I've been looking for a tiny amount for us to sample. The Spice Merchant 1 ounce packet is $3.49, so I figured it wasn't too much if we didn't like it.

Once used as a cheaper option to pepper, it's now expensive. The description on the packet is pretty much what Himself and I experienced when we each bit down on a couple grains: "When cracked like coriander between the teeth, the flavor of grains of paradise releases a billowing aroma, with a slowly intensifying heat, like pepper, at the back of the mouth. The taste changes by the second with lingering heat. The spice is pleasantly tempered, with flavors reminiscent of jasmine, hazelnut, butter and citrus, with an oiliness similar to nuts... Grains of paradise are dense fragrance underlined with heat."

I figure I'll put some in my mortar and pestle, along with some of the sea salt, and crush it a bit. Then I'll add to a simple vinaigrette, or maybe just sprinkle on top the salad after drizzling the dressing.

If you want to read more about it, Serious Eats has a nice write-up here: Spice Hunting: Grains of Paradise | Serious Eats
Old 05-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #7005
Head Chef

Smile

2 frisky young puppies playing at attacking each other in the park...the younger one going for the other puppie's neck repeatedly in a light way. Bounding around each other with lots of energy. The older one lying on its back, exposing its tummy now and then. Guess you had to be there...sometimes you need a video!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #7006
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you want to read more about it, Serious Eats has a nice write-up here: Spice Hunting: Grains of Paradise | Serious Eats
Kewl, thanks! Love Serious Eats
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #7007
Master Chef

I have a love/hate relationship with Serious Eats. I love to read the articles, and have just started to look at some recipes. However, I hate that when I read "one article" I end up losing an hour or more of time. Very strange...
Old 05-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #7008
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with Serious Eats. I love to read the articles, and have just started to look at some recipes. However, I hate that when I read "one article" I end up losing an hour or more of time. Very strange...
I find myself doing the same thing with DIY Headboards, Awnings, Patio, Greywater use...

Don't even point me towards Pintrest!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #7009
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh lord, Pinterest. No no no. And forget FB and some of the travel sites I'm on. I can waste an entire day and get absolutely nothing done.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #7010
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh lord, Pinterest. No no no. And forget FB and some of the travel sites I'm on. I can waste an entire day and get absolutely nothing done.
Glad it's not just me

« Finally | - »