"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #7041
Head Chef

................predicting (accurately) where someone always tries to have the last word.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #7042
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
................predicting (accurately) where someone always tries to have the last word.
Ha ha! That must have been hilarious!

How hard is it to predict yourself, though?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #7043
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I got more than 3 blueberries from my shrub!!! We've eaten about a pint so far, and there are more coming on!!! This is the first time in about 4 years that the critters haven't consumed them all! Guess the green bean folliage must have satisfied them!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #7044
Certified Cake Maniac

I got a call from the high school I graduated from today, from the alumni director. She said she had a year book that she believed to have belonged to me from the school I attended in grade 11. It had been stolen by a so-called friend during grade 12 - 40 years ago! It had been around the school all that time and no-one knew how it got there or who it belonged to. She found my maiden name from a few references in it and matched it to my records from her school. She also learned my father went there 33 years before and googled him. She found his obituary which mentioned my married name and then looked up the number for that.

Why go to all the trouble for a 40 year old yearbook? She noticed a certain name in one of the messages from my friends "Terry Fox". She figured anyone who went to school with him would want the yearbook back and she was right.

This made my day, my week, heck, the rest of my life! She will be mailing it out to me tomorrow.

It isn't really even the yearbook itself or even Terry. But what a story I am sure that book would tell if it could of the past 40 years!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #7045
Master Chef

Last thing to make me smile was watching the humming birds in my flower garden by the salvia's. They love the color red.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #7046
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I got a call from the high school I graduated from today, from the alumni director. She said she had a year book that she believed to have belonged to me from the school I attended in grade 11. It had been stolen by a so-called friend during grade 12 - 40 years ago! It had been around the school all that time and no-one knew how it got there or who it belonged to. She found my maiden name from a few references in it and matched it to my records from her school. She also learned my father went there 33 years before and googled him. She found his obituary which mentioned my married name and then looked up the number for that.

Why go to all the trouble for a 40 year old yearbook? She noticed a certain name in one of the messages from my friends "Terry Fox". She figured anyone who went to school with him would want the yearbook back and she was right.

This made my day, my week, heck, the rest of my life! She will be mailing it out to me tomorrow.

It isn't really even the yearbook itself or even Terry. But what a story I am sure that book would tell if it could of the past 40 years!

That's the coolest story LB! That would have made my day too! Have you received it through the mail yet? So who is Terry Fox?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #7047
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's the coolest story LB! That would have made my day too! Have you received it through the mail yet? So who is Terry Fox?
That nearly made my head 'splode, but I guess he isn't as well known outside of Canada. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Terrance Stanley "Terry" Fox CC OD (July 28, 1958 June 28, 1981) was a Canadian athlete, humanitarian, and cancer research activist. In 1980, with one leg having been amputated, he embarked on a cross-Canada run to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Although the spread of his cancer eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 mi), and ultimately cost him his life, his efforts resulted in a lasting, worldwide legacy. The annual Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, has grown to involve millions of participants in over 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research; over C$600 million has been raised in his name
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #7048
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That nearly made my head 'splode, but I guess he isn't as well known outside of Canada. From Wikipedia:
Pardon my ignorance . He certainly sounds like a real hero, but no, I had never heard of him. Now I know.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #7049
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Last thing to make me smile was watching the humming birds in my flower garden by the salvia's. They love the color red.
I definitely need to get into "the home"! I read that as

watching the humping birds in my flower garden

Evidently I need some serious help!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #7050
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I definitely need to get into "the home"! I read that as

watching the humping birds in my flower garden

Evidently I need some serious help!
Could be worse. One morning I saw 2 foxes on my lawn, actually doing the deed!

They didn't even ask me for permission!

« Finally | - »