Who have you helped today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, chief.

hey, wait, which finger are you holding up as #1? :ermm: :huh:

snip, you did more the right thing. you did the right thing the right way. :)

I don't use THAT finger:glare:. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.:LOL:

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't use THAT finger:glare:. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.:LOL:

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Chief, that reminds me of stories of Ted Bundy, and of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Both would feign injury with fake casts and lure their victims into the back of the van, never to be seen again in their original state. Thankfully, you didn't succumb!

Last edited:
you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper. :wacko:

I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.

you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper. :wacko:

The casts looked real enough. She looked Native American, and was very genuine and polite in her refusal. It appeared that a relative was coming to her aid from the parking lot. I suspect that he partner drove and assisted with the shopping.

True story - Sister Rafael, in 7th grade, fell on ice and broke both wrists. She wore casts on both arms, up to the elbows. She had a habit of whacking students. I got slapped in the face once because a student made a noise and distracted me for a fraction of a second, while she was attempting to explain a math problem to me. She also whacked a student with one of her casts. Some of the most ornery women I have ever met were nuns. But then again, some the most caring women I've met were nuns. It is true, that where there is the most evil, there also is found the most good.

i'm sure the ornery nuns weren't truly evil. But they sure were ornery.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.

lol, you can't call paying taxes charity, jpb. lots of your 30k goes for fire, police, the military, water, sewer, the streets you drive on, and pbs... :D

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.:LOL:

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? :mrgreen: They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.

I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? :mrgreen: They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.

Good job.:LOL: And offering to help, even if the help is declined, is a good deed as it shows others that there are still good people in the world. And, the example you set just might inspire others to do the same.

I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.:LOL:

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now that is cool ! Wish I could take a class from you .. I'm positive it would be productive as well as a ton of fun .. good job !

Now that is cool ! Wish I could take a class from you .. I'm positive it would be productive as well as a ton of fun .. good job !

I agree! Would love to take your pressure cooking class, Chief!

Last edited:
Thanks. I wish we could all get together and teach each other. I could learn new things from all of you too.

Last night, I got two young men to help me shovel my driveway. It got a little buried with snow while I was down with a bad cold. For their efforts, they received a Hennessey Taco dinner. my wife's friend called and requested help. Seems she had carpal tunnel surgery on her right wrist yesterday, and is completely right-handed. We brought her some Hennessey tacos, and I shoveled out the walkway to her house. Helping her was my good deed for the day. But I sure enjoyed the help of those young men.

Something to consider; it is just as important to give others the opportunity to do a good deed, or accept help when it's offered, as it is to be willing to help others. If you decline an offer of help from someone else, you are taking away from them the opportunity to do a good deed. Don't let pride stop you from accepting a little help now and again. It allows others to enrich their lives.

A lady we know needed a place to temporarily park her mini-fan and asked if she could use our side yard. I said I'd get the 3 foot of snow cleaned off of it and she could park there. I called the neighbor with the big snow-blower, you know, the kind that are taller than you, have a cab, and a diesel engine to power it. I gave him 10 bucks for gas and time. He dug a bit to deep and clogged the throwing shoot with snow and sand. It froze in there. It took me, and another neighbor with a crow bar, about 3 hours to clear the chute, and I had to finish shoveling by hand. About 4 hours work was done, total. I hope she appreciates it. That's all I need, a bit of appreciation.

I'm sure she appreciates it. If I were her, I'd pretty sure be very thankful for the help. :)

Iv'e kept up the good deeds. But I won't go into every little thing I've done. That's not the point of this thread. I want to hear what others have done. We share What we've done, and how it made us feel in an effort to get that spirit of helpfulness going, to set an example. It's difficult to try and share what you've done without sounding puffed up about yourself, at least it's difficult for me, and it makes me feel like I'm saying; "Hey world, look at me. I'm such a great guy."

That's not what I want. I want all of us to want to help each other in our neighborhoods, and communities. If we cultivate communities where people try to assist each other, then we can get our nation back on the right track.

When we teach our children to respect others, and to take accountability not only for their own actions, but for the good of the place where they live, then we've fullfilled part of our responsibility as parents.

The world seemed more innocent 50 years back. No one was trying to destroy the family as a fundamental unit of society. Kids were disciplined, and given more freedoms by society than they are allowed now.

Does it seem odd to anyone that there were very few gun controls in our cities, and towns, and at the same time, there were no school shootings, and fewer crazy people doing crazy things?

I knew this kid whose primary parent, his father, had a huge chip on his shoulder. The little guy was a normal, happy, playfull kid, when he was 3 through 5 years old. The kid got together with three other boys, as a young teen, and bludgeoned a man to death with a baseball bat, to steal the man's credit card. I'm sick and tired of the "Me" attitude that thrown at our children, at us, and reinforced by corporate America. There is precious little reward given for hard work. Rather, it's "You'll do what we say, when we say it, or your sent down the road. There are a lot of people who want your job. You can be replaced!" And we tow the line because we have bills, and families that we are responsible for. Too many people are slaves to the wage.

But it doesn't have to be that way. We need to look out for each other, to make your neighbor's welfare as important as your own. Whole towns used to be like that. My home town used to be like that. You didn't worry about your child when he was out playing, because you knew that everyone watched out for the safety and well being of any child withing their range.

Now, everyone wants their very own space, and don't let any child invade that space. That's a law-suit waiting to happen.

We are a broken society. But each of us can make a difference, by returning to values of yesterday, by truly caring for all people.

Ok, I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.

Hi, Chief. I think the mass media and 24-hour news on multiple channels magnifies the bad parts of society and minimizes the good. I think there are a lot of great things going on in this country that many people don't know about.

Here's an example: My husband writes curriculum and arranges/conducts professional development for middle and high school science teachers in a fiscally challenged urban school district. He and a couple co-workers teach project-based learning to the teachers, who then use it in their classrooms.

They also conduct special science camps for the kids, taking them, among other places, to a university marine institute, an organic farm, and an international maritime company where they learned about jobs in that industry. The camps are funded by a local foundation.

Because the city is fiscally challenged, with a very small PR budget, word of these activities doesn't get out, but it's still happening :)

Btw, I will be helping people learn PowerPoint at Master Gardener class tonight.

Last edited:
Most important good deed for the day; Took DW to the movies. 2nd most important good deed for today; find a question, here on DC, that no one else has tackled. Try to answer it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom