"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

Now that is cool ! Wish I could take a class from you .. I'm positive it would be productive as well as a ton of fun .. good job !
I agree! Would love to take your pressure cooking class, Chief!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

chief, they haven't scheduled you to teach another class, yet?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
Master Chef

Thanks. I wish we could all get together and teach each other. I could learn new things from all of you too.

Last night, I got two young men to help me shovel my driveway. It got a little buried with snow while I was down with a bad cold. For their efforts, they received a Hennessey Taco dinner. my wife's friend called and requested help. Seems she had carpal tunnel surgery on her right wrist yesterday, and is completely right-handed. We brought her some Hennessey tacos, and I shoveled out the walkway to her house. Helping her was my good deed for the day. But I sure enjoyed the help of those young men.

Something to consider; it is just as important to give others the opportunity to do a good deed, or accept help when it's offered, as it is to be willing to help others. If you decline an offer of help from someone else, you are taking away from them the opportunity to do a good deed. Don't let pride stop you from accepting a little help now and again. It allows others to enrich their lives.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
A lady we know needed a place to temporarily park her mini-fan and asked if she could use our side yard. I said I'd get the 3 foot of snow cleaned off of it and she could park there. I called the neighbor with the big snow-blower, you know, the kind that are taller than you, have a cab, and a diesel engine to power it. I gave him 10 bucks for gas and time. He dug a bit to deep and clogged the throwing shoot with snow and sand. It froze in there. It took me, and another neighbor with a crow bar, about 3 hours to clear the chute, and I had to finish shoveling by hand. About 4 hours work was done, total. I hope she appreciates it. That's all I need, a bit of appreciation.

I'm sure she appreciates it. If I were her, I'd pretty sure be very thankful for the help.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
Master Chef

Iv'e kept up the good deeds. But I won't go into every little thing I've done. That's not the point of this thread. I want to hear what others have done. We share What we've done, and how it made us feel in an effort to get that spirit of helpfulness going, to set an example. It's difficult to try and share what you've done without sounding puffed up about yourself, at least it's difficult for me, and it makes me feel like I'm saying; "Hey world, look at me. I'm such a great guy."

That's not what I want. I want all of us to want to help each other in our neighborhoods, and communities. If we cultivate communities where people try to assist each other, then we can get our nation back on the right track.

When we teach our children to respect others, and to take accountability not only for their own actions, but for the good of the place where they live, then we've fullfilled part of our responsibility as parents.

The world seemed more innocent 50 years back. No one was trying to destroy the family as a fundamental unit of society. Kids were disciplined, and given more freedoms by society than they are allowed now.

Does it seem odd to anyone that there were very few gun controls in our cities, and towns, and at the same time, there were no school shootings, and fewer crazy people doing crazy things?

I knew this kid whose primary parent, his father, had a huge chip on his shoulder. The little guy was a normal, happy, playfull kid, when he was 3 through 5 years old. The kid got together with three other boys, as a young teen, and bludgeoned a man to death with a baseball bat, to steal the man's credit card. I'm sick and tired of the "Me" attitude that thrown at our children, at us, and reinforced by corporate America. There is precious little reward given for hard work. Rather, it's "You'll do what we say, when we say it, or your sent down the road. There are a lot of people who want your job. You can be replaced!" And we tow the line because we have bills, and families that we are responsible for. Too many people are slaves to the wage.

But it doesn't have to be that way. We need to look out for each other, to make your neighbor's welfare as important as your own. Whole towns used to be like that. My home town used to be like that. You didn't worry about your child when he was out playing, because you knew that everyone watched out for the safety and well being of any child withing their range.

Now, everyone wants their very own space, and don't let any child invade that space. That's a law-suit waiting to happen.

We are a broken society. But each of us can make a difference, by returning to values of yesterday, by truly caring for all people.

Ok, I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Chief. I think the mass media and 24-hour news on multiple channels magnifies the bad parts of society and minimizes the good. I think there are a lot of great things going on in this country that many people don't know about.

Here's an example: My husband writes curriculum and arranges/conducts professional development for middle and high school science teachers in a fiscally challenged urban school district. He and a couple co-workers teach project-based learning to the teachers, who then use it in their classrooms.

They also conduct special science camps for the kids, taking them, among other places, to a university marine institute, an organic farm, and an international maritime company where they learned about jobs in that industry. The camps are funded by a local foundation.

Because the city is fiscally challenged, with a very small PR budget, word of these activities doesn't get out, but it's still happening

Btw, I will be helping people learn PowerPoint at Master Gardener class tonight.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...Btw, I will be helping people learn PowerPoint at Master Gardener class tonight.
You used your noodle and helped me with my noodle question
Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me that helping doesn't have to be in person.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
Master Chef

Most important good deed for the day; Took DW to the movies. 2nd most important good deed for today; find a question, here on DC, that no one else has tackled. Try to answer it.