"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #31
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Thanks Andy and Michael, you are always my go to guys for stuff. I'm still snickering at the deliberate poisoning thing...Dang! Foiled again!
Oh, drat! Now I know what I forgot ... about 300-500+ pages discussing the differences in fatty acids (short, medium, long, very long) and how they are mixed, matched and attached to the glycerol backbone ... and what those differences mean to nutrition.

There are the basics - the "indepth" story gets a little more complicated ...
__________________

__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #32
Senior Cook
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 446
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
One reminder relative to labels we daily see on food and may overlook:

FDA defines Fat-Free as 0.5 g or less per serving.
The point is, just because it says is Fat-Free it may not be completely, pure 100% free.
As an example, don't use half of the Fat-Free salad dressing bottle in every meal because you will be consuming a lot of fat.

The same rationale applies to Calories, Sugar, Sodium, etc.
__________________

__________________
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #33
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: california
Posts: 167
The only thing I have to say (and I just KNOW I will be the evil here), I seriously DO NOT believe in the whole fat free etc thing.
In my opinion I live only once.
I will die, no matter what I do.
So, as long as I live I will enjoy every food, however "bad" it might be, because what in the heck am I trying to preserve myself for?!
I will go one day, and so will you all. So enjoy as long as you can for cryin' out loud!!
__________________
mitmondol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #34
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
LOL - you're really close wysiwyg - the FDA labeling guidelines are based on the "per serving unit volume/weight" being LESS than 0.5 - mg, g, %, etc. Of course that means a lot based on the funky "rounding rules" - you can round 2.4999 "down" to 2.0, but you don't have to round 0.499999 "up" to 0.5.

mit - all things in moderation ... you can live longer and enjoy more that way.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I wonder if we are missing the point here? I use many different oils for my cooking: canola, corn, olive, vegetable, and now I am hearing about cottonseed.
Trying to keep track of what is what, yes you do need fats, but these fats are unhealthy, etc is getting confusing. And with each oil manufacturer trying to sabotage the next, it only makes it worse.
The way to get reliable information is to get it from the government or institutions of higher learning, not from manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Then there are the so-called health gurus: This causes cancer, oh wait no it doesnt, well it might. Butter is bad get margarine, oh wait thats bad too, and on and on seems like these guys can neve make up thier minds.
It's not a matter of making up one's mind - the fact is, science is always evolving. People would naturally rather have one answer that never changes, but as new research techniques are developed (DNA sequencing, for example) and new information is obtained (scientists didn't have the human genome mapped out 20 years ago), some conclusions are going to change in response. All we can do is go by the best current information, and, as you say, everything in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
But, one message has stayed constant thru all this: moderation moderation moderation.
IE cooking with oils and consuming fatty foods ALL the time = bad bad bad
IE cooking sometimes with oils and sometimes fatty foods = OK, keep working on it
IE cooking with oils only when it enhances the taste and not just cause you like fried, and consuming healthy foods alot more than fatty foods = good job

JMHO
I cook with oils when sauteeing and searing, too, but in smaller amounts. I rarely fry anything myself - it's too messy But I occasionally indulge in fried chicken or fish or French fries when out to dinner. And I adore tempura shrimp and veggies
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I cook with oils when sauteeing and searing, too, but in smaller amounts. I rarely fry anything myself - it's too messy But I occasionally indulge in fried chicken or fish or French fries when out to dinner. And I adore tempura shrimp and veggies
Me, too. I thought I was just really lazy but I hate cleaning out the oil and then trying to find some way to get rid of the used oil. It's easier to just go out to eat when I get a real urge for something fried.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #37
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol View Post
I will go one day, and so will you all. So enjoy as long as you can for cryin' out loud!!
I eat healthful foods because, while I may die some day, I plan on making that day an extremely long way away, and in order to enjoy living that long, I will need to be healthy. Being physically or mentally handicapped(morally handicapped, I can handle) because you didn't eat right and exercise will make your life seem extremely long, regardless of how old you are when you die.

As for fats, you need fats to, among other things, lubricate your joints and transport fat soluable viatmins throughout your body. To be in balance, your diet should consist of 40% complex carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat, with less than 10% of that being saturated fat.
__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I eat healthful foods because, while I may die some day, I plan on making that day an extremely long way away, and in order to enjoy living that long, I will need to be healthy. Being physically or mentally handicapped(morally handicapped, I can handle) because you didn't eat right and exercise will make your life seem extremely long, regardless of how old you are when you die.

As for fats, you need fats to, among other things, lubricate your joints and transport fat soluable viatmins throughout your body. To be in balance, your diet should consist of 40% complex carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat, with less than 10% of that being saturated fat.
I couldn't agree more. Eating well and getting rid of processed foods will keep you healthy and ward off so many ailments that are caused by bad diet. Why take chances when it's so easy to remain healthy as long as you can. There are enough things that can go wrong with the human body all by itself - why add to the problems?
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #39
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Jmho

GotGarlic:

Many good points, but I wouldn't list the government as a good source to get unbiased information from and I dont have much faith these days in University, etc. I usually use a mixture of first hand knowledge, information provided by others with first hand knowledge and the following with a grain of salt: institutions, independent entities, manufacturers, etc. governments I list last as they seem so easily swayed by lobbyists and money interests.
Yes science is evolving, but that isn't why they are waffling so much. Mostly it is because some manufacturer rushed the product onto the market to beat others, or to meet a trend (like lo cal lo fat lo carb organic free range etc which when used by manufacturers could mean almost anything), or some opportunist is jumping on the latest bandwagon and pushing something for their own profit.
None of these have anything to do with the evolution of science or even science in general. And when science says this is good, then says its bad, then says its good, well thats not evolution either, thats called a good old fashioned mistake.

I don't mean this to sound so harsh, just trying to express my opinion and view but sometimes its hard when airing them to avoid sounding a little rigid, but forgive me anyway Anyway like I said you make some good points and have given me some things to think about, thank you.

I agree with the deep frying thing. I don't do it that often as I hate the mess. As for the left over oil I strain it, pour it into an empty contain and store it for later use. Often times though, since I don't deep fry that much and I don't consider oil once used for that fit for other things, it ends up going rancid anyway.

And the wife and I love tempura as well!
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
...I usually use a mixture of first hand knowledge, information provided by others with first hand knowledge and the following with a grain of salt: institutions, independent entities, manufacturers, etc. governments I list last as they seem so easily swayed by lobbyists and money interests...

I think you are wise to be skeptical about some sources.

However, putting your first-hand (non-scientific) knowledge and that of others (also non-scientifically derived?) ahead of reliably derived scientific facts, seems reckless. How can you compare your first-hand observations to scientifically derived data from the USDA, for example?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.