Annoying Food Trends – IMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About Atkins...Once upon a time I was a bit heavy. I wasn't fat but I was heavier than I should have been. A friend of mine was doing Atkins so I decided to try it. I lost the weight. It wasn't painful. I never got hungry. It did take me a while to loose my craving for sweets but I got over it.

Now I eat whatever I want including the occasional imported chocolate bar and too much beer. I maintain a healthy weight without even trying. I have nothing bad to say about Dr. Atkins.

I'm also not crazy about a trend to "upscale" basic foods.

It's a hot dog. Don't try to make it something it's not. No Kobe beef, truffles, gold leaf, etc. Just a plain old dog on a bun with some basic toppings.

The same goes for burgers. Just read an article about grinding up dry aged ribeye and strip steaks for burgers. Really??? If I have dry aged ribeye, I having steak for dinner.

I'm also not crazy about a trend to "upscale" basic foods.

It's a hot dog. Don't try to make it something it's not. No Kobe beef, truffles, gold leaf, etc. Just a plain old dog on a bun with some basic toppings.

The same goes for burgers. Just read an article about grinding up dry aged ribeye and strip steaks for burgers. Really??? If I have dry aged ribeye, I having steak for dinner.

Amen! Turning premium beef into hamburger is almost criminal.

Currently, I'm seeing a glut of articles/recipes with chickpeas, turmeric, pumpkin spice (every year).

The food industry is going way overboard to attract our attention.

My pet peeve is 'stump flung' chitlins...everybody knows 'creek runs' are better!!!:ermm:

5+ pound fryers drive me nuts!!! I have a found an independent that sells a brand where a 4 pounder is huge!! Bought a couple the other day in the 2.5 pound range. When I make the trip I buy 6 minimum. Have bought a dozen.

This week our local Penn Dutch has twin packs of fryers on sale for .59 per pound. These average about 3 pounds each. Time to feed the deep freezer!:ROFLMAO:

Finding a coupon for an item that you like to have in the house, but the coupon says you have to buy multiples instead of just the one you want.

Applebeer, been drinking dutch and Belgian apple beers for 20 years now, didt know that was fad and I adore Apfelkorn too.
And feta cheese and water melon salad, done right is amazing, you need a not too sweet watermelon, Greek feta, black pepper and mint, lovely on a hot day. I been eating that for also 20 years.

The trend I dont like is chia and flax seed, people use chia like a magic fix and add so much that they actually eat more calories then they need and also crushed flax seed are poisonous.

Applebeer, been drinking dutch and Belgian apple beers for 20 years now, didt know that was fad and I adore Apfelkorn too...

The trend I dont like is chia and flax seed, people use chia like a magic fix and add so much that they actually eat more calories then they need and also crushed flax seed are poisonous.

Apple beer is pretty new here. DH detests any kind of fruit beer. Contradiction in terms to him ;)

Flax meal is poisonous? That must be news to the gluten-free eaters.

Apple beer is pretty new here. DH detests any kind of fruit beer. Contradiction in terms to him ;)

Flax meal is poisonous? That must be news to the gluten-free eaters.
I Googled this and got partial answers at a number of reputable sites. It seems that flax seed ground in water and eaten to excess could cause a serious cyanide problem. Otherwise, the levels of cyanogyns are fairly low and baking or cooking changes the chemicals.

Apple beer doesn't sound that appealing to me. Not a big fan of any beer, except in beer cheese soups. Unless it's really hot out, and I'm parched, and the beer is cold.

Not a raver on quinoa or gnocchi. Flaxseed gets stuck in my teeth, and swells, so not that excited about it either.

Last edited:
There are also phytoestrogens in flaxseed. This can aggravate some cancers and help shrink other cancers.

One of the primary lessons I learned from working at the medical school for 14 years is that unless you've studied biochemistry for 15 years, you don't know as much as you think about it. It's amazingly complicated.

Apple beer doesn't sound that appealing to me. Not a big fan of any beer, except in beer cheese soups. Unless it's really hot out, and I'm parched, and the beer is cold.

Not a raver on quinoa or gnocchi. Flaxseed gets stuck in my teeth, and swells, so not that excited about it either.

You mean you don't like those fluffly little pillows of potato goodness? or cheesy goodness if made with ricotta? or nutty tasting semolina gnocchi? :yum:

In Sweden they say that 1- 2 tablespoon crushed flaxseeds is safe over a short period and if you are not fasting. Yes, the cyanide content is lowered when baked but in some cases it just 25% and in other 75%, they are doing studies of that here to figure out why and how to make it safer.

When it comes to fruit beers, Belgian is famous for theirs, like kriek and other lambic.

You mean you don't like those fluffly little pillows of potato goodness? or cheesy goodness if made with ricotta? or nutty tasting semolina gnocchi? :yum:

Lol! It's OK, just not a big fan. And it was chia seeds that I was thinking of, not flaxseed, that get stuck in my teeth and swell.

Never got caught up in kale either.

No cha, cha, chia heads for you! ;)

We just plain don't like kale because of its texture, although the Korean place we tried a couple of months ago actually did make a kale banchan that I thought was pretty good, probably because it was chopped pretty fine and had sesame oil in it and I love that flavor.

I eat Kale twice every year, in autumn borecole and sausage and after Christmas, kale milksauce with ham. That is me done with kale.

I dont understand raw food, cashews are not raw, they are not edible raw and few other things are "raw" isnt that raw really. And how healthy can it be to add so much fructose instead of white sugar, why not just eat sweets and cakes as special treat instead of everyday?

According to a programme on the radio (BBC Radio 4, so probably reasonably reliable ;)) Gluten allergy, ie Coeliac disease, is very rare - about 1% of the populations in both the US and the UK. Apparently there are no medically approved tests to determine non-coeliac sensitivity to gluten and there has been considerable debate about whether the condition even exists.

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm only repeating what a very sensible sounding programme stated.

And kale is vile - only fit for cattle food. Food of the desperate poor. I may be poor but I'm not yet desperate! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom