Baked Beans vs Heinz baked beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redmike

Senior Cook
Might seem a strange question but I sometimes want a quick meal such as baked beans and a fried egg on toast.

Anyway, I recently bought generic baked beans and they were tasteless :(

They tasted of nothing, and I tried adding salt, pepper and even Tabasco but with almost no effect.

Heinz is not top for no reason, so what should I add to get the Heinz flavour?

Thanks

Last edited:
Try Bush's Baked Beans. They have a variety of flavors, they're all good, and their spokes"person" is a golden retriever! Also, check out the bean thread here, most from scratch.

Last edited:
Try Bush's Baked Beans. They have a variety of flavors, they're all good, and their spokes"person" is a golden retriever! Also, check out the bean thread here, most from scratch.

Thanks, but I don't want to buy an alternative but simply make the generic ones taste like the Heinz ones.

I've never had Heinz beans. I like to jazz up beans though. And once you find a favorite canned bean it doesn't seem like any other brand, generic or name brand, will do. At least for me.
A couple years ago I bought Campbells beans thinking with all the stuff I add they will be fine... no comparison to Bush's, my usual brand.

It is a tough question to answer for another person.

Depending on my mood I might add.

a little vinegar or

dehydrated onion, molasses, prepared mustard or

a dash of Worcestershire sauce or

a little catsup and on and on.

How about comparing the labels, next time you are in the market, to see what is missing or different.

Good luck!

Ditto .. they are the best when you want quick and easy and they offer a variety of flavors.

From the OP's location, I'm thinking maybe Heinz isn't available. Their ingredients may be listed online though. My mom used to make quick baked beans with pork and beans by adding ketchup, brown sugar, onion, and I think maybe a little liquid smoke.

We like B&M baked beans. They are New England style, brown sugar, no tomato. I sometimes add a pinch more brown sugar and a little minced onion. Of course, the addition of bacon can't hurt.

I used to buy B&M. they are made in Maine in giant pots inside giant ovens. Now I buy Bush's Boston Recipe. I tried Heinz many years ago. They had no flavor and was mostly tomato sauce. I don't think you can do anything to upgrade Heinz. Not worth the effort.

I have eaten many brands of canned beans. My Dad used to love B&M baked beans. We also at a lot of VanCamp's Pork & Beans. I won't say that anyone's favorite is bad. They all have beans in common.

To make VanCamps's taste like Heinz, add a tbs. of tomato paste.

For me personally, I like Bush's, but I like VanCamps's better, as they aren't as sugary, and have a more pronounce pork flavor. I then doctor them to whatever mood I'm in.

By far, I love home-made baked beans best. But even then, I've had so many great versions, cooked by a host of different people, that I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

I like to make mine with a good pork hock, or hog-jowl smoked bacon, onion, brown sugar, black-strap mollases, a touch of yellow mustard, a dash of chili powder, and maybe a touch of liquid smoke.

If I have it, I prefer maple syrup to brown sugar in my beans.

Of course, starting with an almost neutral brand, such as VanCamp's, I can nearly duplicate that home-made taste by simply adding onion powder, some bacon, and a little brown sugar, or maple syrup.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like Heinz, Koo and Rhodes but I doubt it would matter after I'm done with them!
I add fried onions, mayo, chutney, cheese spread, aromat, pepper, a dash of tabasco, a dash of W/sauce and sometimes bits of bacon too.

Chief, I have never added chili powder to my baked beans. I may have to give that a try. Thanks for that suggestion.

I usually add some chili powder to my home fries. Chili powder is a great spice mixture. I've never added it to beans though... yet :yum:

beans, toast, and eggs is a very irish/english quick meal.

i know you're trying to replicate heinz, but see if you can find batchelors brand baked beans. they are made for eating with toast and eggs.

btw, check out amazon (do they have amazon in israel?) for what you're looking for. they sell a lot of packaged foods.

In France, we only find Heinz Baked Beans, the others are completely different. I like to have a can once in a while, makes me feel abroad ;)

Back
Top Bottom