"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beef Gravy

I had real beef, made from pan goo, gravy this weekend, and I've been eating mashed potato's ever since. Cause real gravy is good. I have achieved another level of enlightenment!
My wife made it, must give credit where it's due. We started off making beef stew in the crockpot and she browned the beef in the SS skillet and decided the pan goo was to good to toss. So we whipped up a second meal to complement the gravy.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

My mom always made the best gravy from the pan drippings after she made fried chicken. I was not a big fan of the fried chicken but I loved the gravy on top of mashed potatoes. Yum!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Head Chef

White sauce was the first thing I was taught to make and from there I made home made gravy. I can't stand can gravy or what they usually serve in cafes. There is nothing like fresh gravy on potatoes weather it be beef or chicken or pork.My favorit is mushroom chicken gravy on mashed potatoes.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

before i knew how to de-fat gravies, i used to take the entire pan drippings from a turkey and make gravy. i blended the fat right in. it was so thick and delicious, but it must have been a thousand calories per cup.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Re: Beef Gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman1
I had real beef, made from pan goo . . .

Pan goo? Is this a Cantonese dish? Thai? Okinawan, perhaps? :D :D :D

Cats, lightheaded from carb deprivation
Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
before i knew how to de-fat gravies, i used to take the entire pan drippings from a turkey and make gravy. i blended the fat right in. it was so thick and delicious, but it must have been a thousand calories per cup.
I still do that.. with beef and chicken...
How do you take the fat out?
Yummy!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

remove the drippings from the pan, deglaze the pan scraping all of the browned bits, and add to the drippings. put this in the fridge until it cools. the fat will float to the top, so you can spoon it off, or soak it off with paper towels. it will harden overnight on top, making it even easier to remove.
unfortunately, the turkey or chicken will also cool off too much by the time the fat rises, so i use it for gravy the next time i make it. it is an ongoing process kinda thing.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
THANKS!

Next time I make a roast.. I'll try it!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Gravy and mashed potatoes is the ultimate comfort food. I also like to eat it on fresh white bread or toast. Yummy :!:
Old 01-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Just so's ya know's; If you place a lid on the pan when browning ground beef, then pour off the liquid, you can rinse the ground beef to further remove the fat, add a bit of salt and fry for another minute or so to develop the flavor and brown it a bit more. Take that poured-off juice and refrigerate it. The result is a beautifully gelled aspic that makes the best gravy. Of course you lift off the hardened fat and discard. Just add salt, some onion, and garlic to the aspic and reheat to liquify and cook the veggies. Thicken with a roux, or corn starch slurry. It doesn't have the brown color, but does have all of the flavor. And you can add other things to give the gravy color, or caramelize the onion and garlic first to get the more traditional brown look of gravy. I'm not that picky about color. Flavor and texture are what I'm all about. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote