Beef part question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Here she goes again asking what a part of a beef is called.

I have a yummy looking Danish recipe that uses "culotte" roast and and another what that uses "cuvette" roast.

I can't figure out what those are in English. Google translates them to culotte and cuvette :ermm:

They are near the tail. Here's a Danish meat chart, any ideas what those would be in English? The attached chart is kinda small in the post. Click to see a bigger version.

Attachments

• udskaring-okse.jpg
    udskaring-okse.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 14,493
The best I can do is that both cuts are coming from the round. Top and bottom rounds perhaps.

The best I can do is that both cuts are coming from the round. Top and bottom rounds perhaps.

Is it round in front and above the tail? That's the culotte. Is it maybe rump roast?

English charts don't really show the tail. :(

Last edited:
The rump roast is cut from the round.

What are the recipes you are making?

I was mistaken. The Canadian chart shows the the end of the spine, but doesn't name the piece of meat in front of the tail. Beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows US, British, and Dutch beef charts. I think the Brits would call the culotte roast silverside and topside.

Recipes: Marineret okseculottesteg med billede Alletiders Kogebog

Cuvettesteg med flødekartofler med billede Alletiders Kogebog

P.S., it's hard to see, but the dotted line from cuvette to the meat, ends with a small black dot next to the fat.

I was mistaken. The Canadian chart shows the the end of the spine, but doesn't name the piece of meat in front of the tail. Beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows US, British, and Dutch beef charts. I think the Brits would call the culotte roast silverside and topside.

Recipes: Marineret okseculottesteg med billede Alletiders Kogebog

Cuvettesteg med flødekartofler med billede Alletiders Kogebog

P.S., it's hard to see, but the dotted line from cuvette to the meat, ends with a small black dot next to the fat.

Had a little trouble reading the recipes but the Wiki link shows what I said - both cuts are from the round. If the first recipe is a pot roast type, a round cut would work.

The second recipe looks like a roast so a top round cut would work there.

I think that Cullotte looks like a top round, cuvette a bottom round. Andy is correct IMO, a rump roast is cut from the top round.

Had a little trouble reading the recipes but the Wiki link shows what I said - both cuts are from the round. If the first recipe is a pot roast type, a round cut would work.

The second recipe looks like a roast so a top round cut would work there.

Whether or not the first recipe is pot roast is a question of definition. It has liquid, but it's only about a half a litre.

The second one has 1 dl (0.1 litres) of liquid. Both go in the oven. They seem to cost about the same / kg in Denmark.

I don't imagine it's generally meat for pot roast. On special they were both 168 DKK/kg ~= 32.00 USD/kg ~= 14.50 USD/lb. (even if stuff is on the expensive side in Scandinavia)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I think that Cullotte looks like a top round, cuvette a bottom round. Andy is correct IMO, a rump roast is cut from the top round.

That's what I would say from the Wiki meat chart. But, every chart I see is different, often without actually contradicting each other. It's sooo confoosing.

Thanks for the help.

I would call the cooking method a braise with that little liquid. You would not cover the meat.

Am I reading you right that round roasts are 14.50/lb where you live?

Around here they are in the $5.00 range or less for choice.

Tax if you google Buttock of beef in google images you will find it, I think its just called Topside here the next cut is silverside.
Topside is roasted over here.

I would call the cooking method a braise with that little liquid. You would not cover the meat.

Am I reading you right that round roasts are 14.50/lb where you live?

Around here they are in the $5.00 range or less for choice.

Nope, I live near Montreal. That was the price in Denmark according to ads
I found by googling. Even in Denmark, that's expensive meat.

Tax if you google Buttock of beef in google images you will find it, I think its just called Topside here the next cut is silverside.
Topside is roasted over here.

The problem is that it isn't called that on the left side of the pond. They don't seem to have a specific name for topside and silverside. It's just part of a large area called round.

The cuvett is the part on top of the breast,the culotte we call it in austria Tafelspitz english there isnt any cut like this,both parts are ideally meats to braise or to simmer on low fire for long time delicious parts,served win boullion or sauces like horseradish sauce or chive sauce ,i belive if u show the pics your butcher he will understand what your needs are
kind regards!!!!!!!
imgres

The cuvett is the part on top of the breast,the culotte we call it in austria Tafelspitz english there isnt any cut like this,both parts are ideally meats to braise or to simmer on low fire for long time delicious parts,served win boullion or sauces like horseradish sauce or chive sauce ,i belive if u show the pics your butcher he will understand what your needs are
kind regards!!!!!!!
imgres

It is from near the tail, not from near the breast.

It may mean something else in German or other languages.

Yes, I had thought of showing the picture to the butcher. But, that way I would pay a premium price, not get it on special. I was also wondering if it was something I already have in my freezer, from the 1/3 of cow my MIL gave us.

Back
Top Bottom