"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

Welcome, Layla! Hope to see you around!

Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'd suggest you both learn to cook together if he doesn't already. After all, there's no reason that just 1 person in a relationship should have the entire responsibility for a daily necessity.

My daughter was in a similar situation except that she just didn't want to cook. It was never something she enjoyed. She could make scrambled eggs and prepare things like mac-n-cheese out of a box and a very few other things when she went out on her own at about your age. When she got married a few years later, full disclosure was made that she really wasn't interested in cooking (although he did cook and liked doing it) and that she expected him to do at least half of the cooking/clean-up. She's learned over the years since to cook more things but it's still not her thing and she'd rather just not cook.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

How about your partner. How are his cooking skills?
I suggest he learn as well as you. There is no good reason this should only be your job.
Its his job too.
So, get him in the kitchen with you and both of you learn together.
For the record I do ALL the cooking. I do it to help my wife. I do it because I like to cook.
A man that leaves all the cooking to his wife will never have any control over what he eats. It is this reason I do the grocery shopping too.
Good luck and don't marry the guy unless he shows some interest in helping you.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
How about your partner. How are his cooking skills?
I suggest he learn as well as you. There is no good reason this should only be your job.
Its his job too.
So, get him in the kitchen with you and both of you learn together.
For the record I do ALL the cooking. I do it to help my wife. I do it because I like to cook.
A man that leaves all the cooking to his wife will never have any control over what he eats. It is this reason I do the grocery shopping too.
Good luck and don't marry the guy unless he shows some interest in helping you.
I have to disagree here, Roll. I have always worked on the principle of "She who cook does not wash the dishes" (and I always cook!). It's a bit different now that I live on my own and have a dishwasher.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Master Chef

I think one of the first things I cooked was chicken soup.. I put everything in the pot, when it boiled I picked up the dirty foam, whatever it's called, turned down the heat and went to bed with my girl friend. When we woke up, there was less than an inch of liquid left. I think that was the best chicken soup I ever made.

But, as for Layla, I'd say start with simple side dishes. Potato, noodles. Then simple chicken. Then simple soup. Just try. Think what you want for dinner tomorrow , prepare all necessary ingredients and just try to make it. If it doesn't work out, order out, but try to make it first.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I have to disagree here, Roll. I have always worked on the principle of "She who cook does not wash the dishes" (and I always cook!). It's a bit different now that I live on my own and have a dishwasher.

I'd cook anytime, as long as I do not have to do the dishes. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #17
Head Chef

I remember putting my Mom on stand-by a couple of times so she could coach me through whatever dish it was I was attempting. That worked pretty well. ;)

You could find a cooking class or two you can attend together - they're great fun and very informative. As a bonus you'll even get to eat what you make! Check with your local higher-end cookware or grocery stores, if they don't sponsor or host the classes themselves, I'm sure they could at least point you in the right direction.

And don't confuse good food with complicated-to-make food -- simple and fresh wins every time over fussy and time-consuming around here.

Best of luck to you!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #18
Head Chef

Wink

Layla...I guess you know the kind of food he likes to eat. If you indicate what these are in a post, I am sure we could give you a few pointers to make it more easy for you.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
Cupcake

I use to put Momma on standby too, Zereh!

Welcome to DC, Layla. Soups are a good starting place and others have given great suggestions, but you may wish to have Momma teach you how to make one of your favorite meals!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
(The "Joy of Cooking" is fascinating bedtime reading as well as a great source of information - I now know how to cook a bear - well, one never knows when one might need to know this :-D :-D:-D)
Come for a visit, I can provide the opportunity to get yourself a bear if you would like to try out your acquired skill.

Tags
beginner, cook, cooking