Boiling baby back ribs, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
hi my friend told me this recipe but i forgot most of it. ive been boiling a rack for like almost an hour now. for how long should i boil and then can i put it in the oven and if so for how long?

Well you have already boiled them so the damage is done. Cook them in the oven now until done. Next time though, do not boil them that is one of the worst things you can do to ribs. It gets you nothing and IMO ruins the flavor and texture.

I'd stop boiling them at once!

I never boil ribs. You are losing flavor into the water.

From here, put them into a hot oven with a dry rub to flavor them and add some BBQ sauce for the last 15-20 minutes if you like them wet.

They're done when the meat has shrunk back on the bone ends and the bones feel a little loose.

you know normally i would agree with you boiling doesnt work but last week my friend made ribs boiling first and then putting it on the bbq. delicious. maybe it was the sauce. ok im done boiling. how long should i put them in the oven for and how long?

I'd stop boiling them at once!

I never boil ribs. You are losing flavor into the water.

From here, put them into a hot oven with a dry rub to flavor them and add some BBQ sauce for the last 15-20 minutes if you like them wet.

They're done when the meat has shrunk back on the bone ends and the bones feel a little loose.

Concur!

I was in a time crunch one night with a small rack of ribs. I put them in a pot just covering them with water and with an onion garlic crushed red peppers celery stalk s&p thyme and brought them to a boil and then simmered for about 15 min. then took them out, put them on the grill to brown up baste with bq sauce with a lil of the simmering water mixed in and they were fantastic. I do this often for something different - not alot - most of time its a rub- set awhile and grill.

I also saved the broth, strained it from the veggies etc. put into 1/2 cup containers and froze it. Used it for when i did a pork roast or when i made pig in blankets,stew, etc

I boil my spare ribs in a mix of broth, bourbon, hotsauce, onion, garlic, and one can of stout. I put all the ingredients into the pot (including the ribs) and bring to a simmer. Then I pull and immediatly grill on a mesquite charcoal grill. On the last 4 flips I sauce each side (I like a little carmel carbon on my ribs). People seem to like them. I get requests. They do not come out as tender as slow cooked ribs but sometimes I want a little substance to my ribs.

PS. I never do this to babyback, only spare and tips.

I simmer my country style ribs with water, beer, and pickling spice. Then finish on the grill. Very tender.
As for how long, depends on, well, everything. Til they're done. Pull on a bone, take a fork to some meat.

I never boil ribs. I par-cook them in the oven in a covered dish for about an hour. Then finish on the grill, or in the case of me and others like me who live on the 5th floor with no backyard, uncovered in the oven with the sauce.

Never boil ribs. In the summer I always do them completely on the grill (Weber gas), applying rub, then smoking them with wood chips. It takes time (at least 3-4 hours) and steady attention to maintain 230°- 250° on a grill which wasn't designed for it, but they come out incredibly good.

In the winter when I can't spend 4 hours out on the patio smoking them, I rub and wrap them in foil in 4 bone sections, then cook in the oven at 300° for 2-3 hours. Then depending on the weather I'll either finish them on the grill or under the oven broiler. They aren't the same as when smoked, but they still come out tasty and fall off the bone tender. :chef:

BTW, I usually do St. Louis style.... more meaty than baby backs.

I've parboiled ribs a lot. Seasonings in the pot,etc. Usually use the broth for 'kraut to go with. After I've parboiled I usually stick them on the grill for flavor,color, and taste using either spices or a good BBQ sauce. If it's bottled I usually use Sweet Baby Ray.

In addition to all of the above, if I found myself in this situation, I would reduce the boiling liquid to add to the sauce to save the flavour that was lost. Usually, for me, I cook ribs low and slow on the grill with indirect heat, finish over the embers with any sauce I want in addition to the original rub. Sometimes, though, I do the ChefJune method (I like to grill, but I'm not a put-on-the-parka-and-fire-up-the-grill guy), and use the juices with the final sauce.

Back
Top Bottom