Boiling Pasta Water - What do you do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
A plumber said it is not good for the kitchen sink to pour boiling water down it (pasta water, potatoes, etc.). Sounds crazy to me. :huh: Where and how do you all pour your boiling water? Thank you. Betsy.

Down the drain, but I do have cold water running when I do. Not sure why, but it's the way I do it.

A plumber said it is not good for the kitchen sink to pour boiling water down it (pasta water, potatoes, etc.). Sounds crazy to me. :huh: Where and how do you all pour your boiling water? Thank you. Betsy.

Did the plumber say why it's not good to do? I always thought the hot water would help to keep food stuffs from building up in the drain, and do some deodorizing too. Interesting. :ermm:

I have a Corean sink, and the care package said to run cold water when you drain boiling water. Don't know why, but I do it anyway.

I've been pouring hot water from pasta, etc down my kitchen sink for over 40 years with no problem - not even a clogged sink. I've never heard that. I wonder what he was talking about.

I pour it down the drain to melt any grease build up but, I have been told not to because the quick burst of heat expands the metal and may loosen the joints, causing leaks. I have never had a problem doing it though.

Schedule 40 and 80 PVC pipe is rated to 140F maximum service temperature. One way to bend these is heat it and gently bend. High heat can thus deform pipes.

I pour mine down the sink too... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom