Broccoli and cheese question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayla•Bug

Assistant Cook
Hi all! Just joined and have a question about something. I love broccolli and cheese and I was getting everything I needed to make it and my Walmart didn't have the block style velveeta I love. They only had the slices. Will this work?

Never tried veveeta, and I don't know how you add the cheese.
If you lay it on the top with the block type to melt it, I don't think it'd be any different.
Welcome, Kayla.

Yeah, what's up with Wally World and sliced stuff? I wanted a hunk of salt pork a couple weeks ago and they only had sliced, but it still worked for me because after all, it was still salt pork.... get my drift, Kayla Bug? Yes, it will work.

Welcome!

Yes, it will still work, won't be as creamy though. Once you mix it up with the brocolli and the cheese melt, you can add just a little milk to cream it up, if you want.

And welcome!!

Walmart doesn't keep Velveeta in the cooler. You'll find it on the shelf someplace...possibly by the pasta.

Now that you mentioned it, I have seen it near the rotel. I think they put it in places that it is used with, because, I have also seen it in the isle with chips.

The American cheese slices you got do not have as much moisture as Velveeta ... you can add a little splash of milk or cream to your sauce to compensate. Of course - a lot depends on if you are making a real cheese sauce or just melting the cheese on the broccoli. If you're just melting the cheese on the broccoli I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
The American cheese slices you got do not have as much moisture as Velveeta ... you can add a little splash of milk or cream to your sauce to compensate. Of course - a lot depends on if you are making a real cheese sauce or just melting the cheese on the broccoli.

Did they ask about using American cheese? :huh:
Or is all cheese that is sliced in Walmart considered American and not Velveeta? Just trying to cross-reference your answer with what they asked.....

Did they ask about using American cheese? :huh:
Or is all cheese that is sliced in Walmart considered American and not Velveeta? Just trying to cross-reference your answer with what they asked.....

Nope - but I know what Walmart carries - and what the OP asked. Velveeta is not sold in slices - and any other sliced cheese would be unique enough the OP probably would have mentioned it (Swiss, Provalone, etc. - Deli cheeses). That pretty much leaves us with the most abundant sliced cheese found at Walmart - American processed cheese.

Of course I had no more factual information to go on than you did when you said:

pacanis said:
... get my drift, Kayla Bug? Yes, it will work.

Maybe we were both wrong in making an assumption instead of playing 20-Questions first?

Last edited:
No kidding.... learn something everyday.
I had no idea (obviously) that Velveeta did not come in sliced form.

Thanks Michael! I know where not to look for it! (lol)

Well I don't know about your stores out there, but in our regular grocery stores they do sell Velveeta in slices. I don't know about WallyWorld though as I don't shop there.

Barb

They are sold in slices here too, BUT, it is not soft like the block of velveeta. It is solidish like american is.

Attachments

• PUGXY.jpg
    PUGXY.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 85
Uh, Michael in FTW - Velveeta definitely does come in individually-wrapped slices. And WalMart (at least ours) does carry them. I've bought them there.

But as Texasgirl said, the slices aren't as soft as block Velveeta. I imagine they have to make the cheese firmer in order to make the slices easy to handle without falling apart. Taste is the same though.

Since they aren't as soft then maybe that could affect the way they melt. I thought that was like Velveeta's thing, to be ultra soft. I know when it is cubed it is great for pushing a pill into, doesn't crack like dry cheese can.

I agree. They'd melt, but not as quickly. They pretty much have the same firmness as individual slices of American Cheese, but with the somewhat different Velveeta taste.

(As for dog-pilling, my dogs claim that nothing beats a nice squooshy blob of Braunschweiger-style liverwurst. :))

Braunschweiger is good, but I prefer to use something that isn't as stinky..... and I even eat the stuff! lol
For my own dogs I either "pill" them or drop it in their bowl. They aren't picky.

I'm going to look for Velveeta next time I'm at the store. Some members said they use it for grilled cheese sandwiches. I've always used American. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever eaten Velveeta cheese...

The slices are in the refrigerated case wherever the American Cheese slices are. The blocks are usually in the pasta aisle, the Mexican aisle, or sometimes both, depending on the store. They don't require refrigeration (until opening) due to being hermetically sealed in that foil packaging.

Back
Top Bottom