"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Yep .. agreeing with all here.

You have an oven issue.

Preheat, check temp, adjust accordingly.

Good luck !

Old 08-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

One more thing to add; if your oven is a convection oven, the outside will heat faster, and often overcook before the middle can get done. With convection ovens, you need to reduce the temperature by 15 to 20 degrees.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
One more thing to add; if your oven is a convection oven, the outside will heat faster, and often overcook before the middle can get done. With convection ovens, you need to reduce the temperature by 15 to 20 degrees.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is what happens with my convection oven when I bake with it in the regular baking mode. When I bake in the convection setting, it cooks more evenly. I think my oven automatically adjusts the settings when you select convection and use the temp and time referred to in the recipe. No matter which setting I'm using, I always set my timer for at least 5 minutes less and check. Gotta watch my husband though, he will hear the timer ring and run out and take the food out of the oven!! Done or not!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salengland View Post
So I was wondering whether anyone can help a desperate person attempt to cook! Every single time I cook any kind of cake, cupcake or muffin I follow recipe books by the letter but they always come out of the oven burnt/overlooked on the outside and either raw or undercooked on the inside.

I thought it was the oven as it was happening with every single recipe from any book and with any cake. So we now own a brand new expensive oven and the same thing is still very much happening!

I just don't understand, so I'm wondering whether there is anything obvious that I'm not doing.

Does anyone have any thoughts/tips at all?

Thank you!
Get an oven thermometer from a kitchen supplies shop/store or even from a supermarket. They are relatively cheap and sit on or hang from the oven shelf and enable you to know whether your oven thermostat is accurate. It probably isn't as I've never known an oven that was. You can then adjust the temperature for the dish you as cooking.

Oh, yes, and are you allowing the oven to come up to temp before putting the cake in? Not sure about modern electric cookers but with gas cookers it can take 15-20 minutes.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have a 'preheat' setting on your stove for the oven? Are you forgetting to set it back to 'bake' when the proper temperature is reached

Do you have your top shelf too high in the oven? Hot air will rise and make the top of the oven hotter than the rest of the oven.

Are you using dark pans? They require a lower temperature by 25 degrees.
Now that IS interesting, Addie. I've never heard that about dark pans before.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I was unaware that dark pans needed a lower temp too
Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I was unaware that dark pans needed a lower temp too
Dark colors both absorb, and radiate heat better. Therefore, the dark pan will absorb, and transfer heat more quickly into the food that's in it. This is why solar heat panels are always painted solar black.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have your top shelf too high in the oven? Hot air will rise and make the top of the oven hotter than the rest of the oven.
I'm not sure this is true. In a small, enclosed space like an oven, I don't think the temperature difference from top to bottom would be enough to matter.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Head Chef

They say use the middle rack to ensure even exposure to the heat - i.e. proximity to the heat source rather than "heat rises".

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Wine Guy

Sounds like the oven is too hot, or you are unintentionally using some sort of convection setting.