"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Master Chef

Can I hard-boil eggs in slow cooker?

I am currently without a stove. Has anyone ever cooked hard boiled eggs in slow cooker? Is this possible? I have one that sits on a base that can be used as a griddle so it gets pretty hot but I don't think things actually boil. I bought 3 dozen eggs recently to make ham salad and need to get them cooked. My new stove comes Monday so may wait until then but thought maybe the slow cooker could do the job.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd say if your slow cooker can boil water, it can cook the eggs properly.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Put some water in your slow cooker, turn it to HIGH and leave it there until it gets up to temp. Test the temperature of the water with a thermometer. If it registers 212F, the water's reached its boiling point.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Cook

since your slow cooker has a base just use a regular pan instead of the crock. It should get hotter that way and it should work. They dont have to get to a full rolling boil to cook.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Put some water in your slow cooker, turn it to HIGH and leave it there until it gets up to temp. Test the temperature of the water with a thermometer. If it registers 212F, the water's reached its boiling point.

...and it should be bubbling merrily as well...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Cook

Add several tbsp water into slow cooker, use "high" mode to keep slow cooker warm. Boil water with tea pot (or any other pots), then quickly pour boiling water into slow cooker. In this way, water will be brought to boil again faster. And, use as little water as you can, because the more water, the slower to reach high temperature.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks all. Guess I'll do a test run of just water on high to see if it boils. ChefRuby has a good idea. Maybe get the water boiling in the microwave first. I don't have anything but microwave, toaster oven and crockpot until Monday. Just a big gaping hole where the old stove unit was. It was a drop in and we bought a free standing one so we had to remove some countertop to make the new one fit. DH did a good job with it but had to do it last weekend to be sure we could put a free standing one in that spot before we bought one! Now this weekend he'll put an outlet in (old one was hard-wired in) and we'll be ready for the new stove on Monday.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

When I'm in a hurry for just one or two...I break mine into a dish with some water in it, cover them and cook in the microwave. I copied a link here for you...Microwave Eggs
Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Master Chef

I've cooked eggs in the cr0ck pot, is it the same as slow cooker? I don't know how long it takes though, because I was cooking them overnight.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...and it should be bubbling merrily as well...
Not necessarily (if Chemistry memory serves well enough). Water will hit 212 degrees F before actually boiling--it still takes quite a bit of energy to bring it to boiling.

Eggs shouldn't actually be boiled anyway, it makes them a little tougher. So when I cook them, I bring to boil then turn off heat and let set 13-15 minutes (the water stops boiling right away). So cooking them in near boiling-temp water should be ok.