"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Every year when we go to Aruba, I am required to make a big batch of American Chop Suey. It's one of the simplest recipes but everyone looks forward to it so much I can't say no. Twenty years ago, my daughter begged me to come up with an ACS recipe that tasted like the ACS she used to get in the school cafeteria! I did and she loves it.

I'm not sure what makes this dish so popular. Maybe it's the school cafeteria connection.
My kids called any dish like that pot glop. It was something that just went glop into the pot. And they loved it also. I think they got the name from the kids at school. I still will make a small pot just for me with leftovers.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #102
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wow, you're quick! I've had that recipe a while and haven't gotten to it yet. Any suggestions?
I cut the recipe in half and made it as directed. I like the technique of coating the raw meat with spices prior to searing it. The only real change I made was finishing it in the oven, I hate babysitting a pan on the stove.

I have read several recipes from various cookbooks and I think now that I could make it with whatever I happen to have on hand, those are the dishes I enjoy the most. More of a process or technique than a recipe.

I have never had Hungarian goulash so I have no idea if this was good goulash or not.

It fills the bill for me easy, cheap and tasty!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #103
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My kids called any dish like that pot glop...
I make a different dish I call glop that I learned in Boy Scouts. Ground beef and onion sautéed, small cans of potato, mushrooms and corn and a can of cream of mush soup. Mix and heat through.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I make a different dish I call glop that I learned in Boy Scouts. Ground beef and onion sautéed, small cans of potato, mushrooms and corn and a can of cream of mush soup. Mix and heat through.
Sounds a lot like "camp stew" form when I was in the Girl Sprouts. No soup, but green beans. It included the water from the cans. I don't think there were 'shrooms. And when we were lucky, Fritos on top.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ground beef, onions, green & red peppers, garlic and a can of diced tomatoes, simmered. Stir into cooked macaroni with shredded cheddar, bake till heated through. That is Johnny Marzetti! YUM! I got the recipe from the Queen of Lunch Ladies.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

During the summer when the kids were home for lunch, I would make instant ACS. Sauté hamburger and finely diced onions. Open two cans of Franco American Spaghetti and mix together. Plenty of Bread and butter and the jug of milk on the table and they were happy.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #107
Executive Chef

My DIL recently gave me a recipe for goulash that she received from an "old hungarian woman." I was very surprised that it did not contain any paprika. I thought that was what made it goulash instead of beef stew. Without using the actual recipe, here are the ingredients.

Beef cubes, water, carrots, potatoes, onions, ketchup, Kitchen Bouquet, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 envelopes of Washington Seasoning and Broth. The last ingredient I never heard of but when I googled it, it is not something that would contain paprika....just similar to bullion. The ketchup would add red color, but not the smokey taste of paprika. Isn't that unusual, since the recipe came from an authentic hungarian?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #108
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My DIL recently gave me a recipe for goulash that she received from an "old hungarian woman." I was very surprised that it did not contain any paprika. I thought that was what made it goulash instead of beef stew. Without using the actual recipe, here are the ingredients.

Beef cubes, water, carrots, potatoes, onions, ketchup, Kitchen Bouquet, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 envelopes of Washington Seasoning and Broth. The last ingredient I never heard of but when I googled it, it is not something that would contain paprika....just similar to bullion. The ketchup would add red color, but not the smokey taste of paprika. Isn't that unusual, since the recipe came from an authentic hungarian?
I agree. It's nothing like goulash. I see the following as being missing. Sweet and hot paprikas, caraway, thyme and marjoram. Also, the recipe I use does not include Worcestershire, carrots, potatoes or catchup.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Even authentic members of ethnic groups sometimes embrace shortcuts and modern conveniences.

DH gave me "The Best International Recipes" cookbook from Cooks Illustrated for Christmas once. I think they have excellent, accurate recipes and provide alternatives to ingredients that may be hard to find here but approximate the flavor as well as possible. Not that paprika is hard to find; I'm just saying I trust them for accurate information.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #110
Executive Chef

Quote:
I agree. It's nothing like goulash. I see the following as being missing. Sweet and hot paprikas, caraway, thyme and marjoram. Also, the recipe I use does not include Worcestershire, carrots, potatoes or catchup.

My mother's goulash had potatoes in it, but she probably did that to stretch the meal. She could have served it over noodles for that.

Tags
casserole