Chewy Chocolate Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenswan

Assistant Cook
I made some chocolate sauce yesterday with chocolate chips, corn syrup, butter, and heavy cream. I used the correct amounts from the recipe, but the sauce hardens on ice cream and when it's refrigerated. Any ideas about what I can do to make it normal?!

The recipe I followed was nearly the same as another recipe I've used which turns out fine. The only difference is the old one used half the amount of chocolate chips as the one yesterday.

Thanks,

Jen

The only difference is the old one used half the amount of chocolate chips as the one yesterday.

That's a pretty significant difference. What you ended up with sounds like a ganache.

Most basic ganache recipe is equal parts cream and chocolate, and at room temp is a VERY thick sauce, if you can still call it a sauce. When chilled it gets very firm. Chocolate can hold a surprising amount of liquid and still remain quite thick. Doubling the amount of chocolate in any recipe will make a significant difference in texture.

I made some chocolate sauce yesterday with chocolate chips, corn syrup, butter, and heavy cream. I used the correct amounts from the recipe, but the sauce hardens on ice cream and when it's refrigerated. Any ideas about what I can do to make it normal?!

The recipe I followed was nearly the same as another recipe I've used which turns out fine. The only difference is the old one used half the amount of chocolate chips as the one yesterday.

Thanks,

Jen
I take it you want it to remain fluid...

I would reheat over a double boiler and add cream. Bring up to boil then stop cooking it. That should incorporate the cream, keeping the richness but thinning the mix..

Thanks for your responses! I heated up the sauce, and added warm cream til I had what I thought was a good consistency. It worked!

When thinning chocolate sauce (just melted morsels) what kind of oil should be used? I have 100% Olive Oil, is that okay to use, maybe a tablespoon?

I wouldn't use oil at all...

And as for how much liquid and/or what type of liquid it depends on what you want to do with your sauce and how much chocolate you've melted.

The simplest way to thin chocolate is by using cream, imo. 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 cream is the simplest recipe for ganache, which will stay fluid while warm but will firm to a semi-malleable consistency when cooled. If you want your sauce to remain liquid while cold, then you need to use a lot of liquid, and using that much cream is likely to mute the flavor of the chocolate quite considerably.

Back
Top Bottom