Chicken pieces question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddh

Assistant Cook
Hi.

Just a quick question. I've recently been cutting up chicken breasts into small pieces (if I have to estimate, probably about the size of a cherry, but in random shapes haha) and then cooking them in olive oil on a gas stove. I don't know anything at all about cooking, but I've been cooking them for about 10 minutes (which is when they start looking brownish on the outside). What would you guys suggest as a safe length of time to cook such chicken? I know too short is unsafe, but since these pieces are so small, is it fine?

Thanks.

For safety it comes down to internal temp. Without checking the internal temp no can give you a real safe answer.

When you cut into them can you see any red or pink inside? If you can you will need to cook more.

For that size piece if most of the outside is brown it should be ok. When I stir-fry chicken that size on high heat I cook it for 5-6 minutes take it out cook my veggies then put the chicken back in for 2-3 more.

No they're not red or pink, just white. They taste fine and look fine, but seeing as I'm no expert I wasn't sure if that mattered :)

So yea, thanks for the quick confirmation! Problem solved unless someone on these forums disagrees and thinks I'm in serious danger :LOL:

I'll assume the oil was bubbling nicely when you put the meat in. If so, then 10 minutes is plenty! Did you season them at all or just cook the meat in nothing but oil? If just oil, you might want to try peanut oil next time. It gives the chicken a very distinct flavor that I find attractive when used without other seasonings.

btw, welcome to DC. As a new cook, you've found a great place to learn more!

Last edited:
I'll assume the oil was bubbling nicely when you put the meat in. If so, then 10 minutes is plenty! Did you season them at all or just cook the meat in nothing but oil? If just oil, you might want to try peanut oil next time. It gives the chicken a very distinct flavor that I find attractive when used without other seasonings.

btw, welcome to DC. As a new cook, you've found a great place to learn more!

Well actually I tend to just put the chicken in right after I put in the oil. Tastes fine :) And yes, a bit of seasoning for extra taste.

You might want to try poaching them in some flavorful liquid just for a few minutes, say two at most (since your pieces are so small). Your chicken will be very moist and yummy. It's much easier than oil.

Back
Top Bottom