Coming up with a dish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garband

Cook
Hello all!

I have a somewhat simple question..

I've had a tube of Wasabi paste for a little while now. I love using it just as it is, but being the creative person I am, I want to incorporate it into something else.

I've been thinking of making a wasabi sauce, but I'm not sure how to go about making a "Custom" sauce.

On top of that, I have a large tub of cocktail peanuts. I think the wasabi might go well with the peanuts in some dish, but I'm not sure what.

I've been considering frying the peanuts in just a little bit of butter, and then perhaps making a cream sauce with the wasabi in the pan with the peanuts. I think if I do this a little bit of some citrus zest/juice would do nicely.

But past that, I'm not sure what to do with it.

What do you all think? Does this sound like a good idea? Got any of your own to share? :D

I'd think with peanut and wasabi, something with sweetness would be ideal. Honey lends a good, flavorful sweetness. You also need a salty component for balance, either soy, fish sauce, or, well, salt. I think all of those flavors complement pork and seafood well. For me, I'd use the peanuts for flavor and texture, and use the wasabi in a sauce application. Sorry no recipe but those the lines along which I think for these things then let things come together.

Last edited:
I'd think with peanut and wasabi, something with sweetness would be ideal. Honey lends a good, flavorful sweetness. You also need a salty component for balance, either soy, fish sauce, or, well, salt. I think all of those flavors complement pork and seafood well. For me, I'd use the peanuts for flavor and texture, and use the wasabi in a sauce application. Sorry no recipe but those the lines along which I think for these things then let things come together.
No need to apologize! I don't ever really follow recipes when I'm trying to create. I just eyeball everything and hope it works. :p

You mentioning sweetness has given me an idea to try tomorrow.. >:D

a wasabi/peanut/soy sauce makes a nice dipping sauce for seared tuna.
Hmm. Do you think just some regular ol' mustard and orange zest would work in that as well?

about the orange zest and mustard, i'm not sure. you never know until you try, though.

i make my tuna dipping sauce by melting some peanut butter (you can make your own fresh peanut butter) with a bit of water, regular butter, some soy sauce, just a splash of fish sauce, sesame oil, and wasabi powder.

about the orange zest and mustard, i'm not sure. you never know until you try, though.
Quite true. I guess I'm gonna go get started on it.

i make my tuna dipping sauce by melting some peanut butter (you can make your own fresh peanut butter) with a bit of water, regular butter, some soy sauce, just a splash of fish sauce, sesame oil, and wasabi powder.
Thanks for the base list. :D

So, I didn't get to try anything the other day. But I did come up with an idea once I rummaged through the kitchen some more.

I was thinking of making a cream sauce with the wasabi; I'd be "making" the cream with milk + half and half + butter. So the whole thing would be the "cream" with wasabi, and I found some white chocolate chips. I was thinking perhaps if I melted some of those and then added them into the sauce it would work as a sweetening agent, and, due to the way that white chocolate feels and tastes, perhaps as a way to connect the next part of the meal to the sauce....

I found some marshmallow creme as well. This gave me the idea of perhaps roasting some peanuts and chopping them up somewhat finely. Then, I could cook some chicken, add the wasabi sauce, and then make a "crust" of marshmallow and peanuts. Or backwards, and have the wasabi sauce on top of the marshmallow "crust".

One issue I was thinking would appear is that with both white chocolate and marshmallows, the meal would be quite sweet. To remedy that, I was considering perhaps putting some crushed red pepper into either the sauce, or seasoning the chicken with it.

I also though perhaps of adding some citrus into the marshmallow creme (originally I thought of putting it in the wasabi sauce but remembered the bad experience I had when I learned that citrus curdles dairy).

Also, the thought occurred that to balance the sweetness of the chicken part, perhaps the balance should come from sides?

How does all this sound to you all? Am I on the right track, or am I crazy? :p

Back
Top Bottom