Convection Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajrubyo

Assistant Cook
I have a strange question. I have a great, foolproof recipe for standing rib roast (any size). Roast at 500 degrees for a precise amount of time (8 min. per pound for rare, 9 for med, etc.). Then turn off oven and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR for at least one hour to 3 hours. I've used this method many times and always gotten perfect results. It's a great make ahead especially for entertaining.

My Question is: With my new convection oven, will this affect the amount of time (I use 8-1/2 minutes per pound) that I cook it before it rests in the oven? Probably a silly question, but with the price of meat, I don't want to take any chances! Thanks for any help you can give me.

What does the instruction book that came with the oven say? I had a convection oven and don't remember what the difference in timing would be.

Not vey helpful, I know. Maybe someone else has the answer for you.
Lyndalou

The Convection oven will lower the amount of time you need to cook the meat. I think your cooking time will be cut by at least 20%.

Check the manual you got with the oven.

I'm sorry, I neglected to say I bought my convection range/oven used, it was missing the manual.
I know of the 25/25 reduction, but wondered if it would apply to this particular recipe, since the high heat at the beginning is what browns & crisps the crust on the roast. If I reduced the heat, that would bring the initial heat down to 375. I have cooked it many times rhe regular way, but never convection.Maybe this is more of a cooking science question.

Thanks!

Michael in FtW said:
"This site might give you some ideas ...
http://www.cadco-ltd.com/convectioncook.html"

This is just what I've been looking for. Thank you so much. I will use the convection feature, cook for the same amount of time, but reduce the heat 25 or 30 degrees. That makes sense. Problem solved, and not a moment too soon, I'm cooking it for Easter dinner.
Thanks again

AJ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom