"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When my parents brought prime rib home from the restaurant for our Sunday dinner, it was served with au jus. When ham was brought home from the restaurant, it came with raisin sauce.
Growing up au jus and raisin sauce was just "do you want some of 'this'?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Growing up au jus and raisin sauce was just "do you want some of 'this'?
The ham and raisin sauce was never my favourite...but that was how Anne, our cook at the restaurant, made Sunday ham...

Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The ham and raisin sauce was never my favourite...but that was how Anne, our cook at the restaurant, made Sunday ham...
I don't eat anything that has raisins. It is like biting into a wet squishy bug.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
And then we come to the difference between sauce and gravy.

Sauce (As in classic French Sauces) are a mixture of fat, liquid, and a thickening agent (usually a roux in French cooking) A sauce is usually lightly thickened liquid or semi-liquid, and or can be a relish, used to enhance other foods. It is usually not eaten by itself.

Think of the 5 mother sauces, or apple sauce, or even catsup. Prepared mustard is a sauce. Other examples include sweet & sour sauce, Peanut sauce, Mornay Sauce, Salsa, these are all sauces. Sauces can include meat, or meat juices (broth or stock) but don't have to. Sauces can be either sweet, sweet and sour, piquant, or savory.

Gravies always use meat flavor as the base (except for Sunday Gravy), and are thicker than are most sauces. Gravies are also always savory.

DW likes her gravies and sauces thickened with corn starch. I prefer to use a roux with gravies, except for Sunday Gravy, which is thickened with tomato pulp. Then again, I call Sunday Gravy tomato sauce.

Comments, or discussions are welcome.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Of course, coming to Colorado from Minnesota by way of Montana, the first time in my 68 years that I saw the term "Sunday Gravy" was right here a couple of weeks ago (even though my best friend in Montana was Italian/Irish, and his father came over in his teens with his parents and homesteaded in central Montana - apparently Sunday gravy is a New England Italian colloquialism). This has to be a very localized appellation for what the rest of the world calls tomato or spaghetti sauce.

What we always had on Sunday that we called gravy was made from the drippings from the meat we had for dinner that day - usually chicken or pork, less commonly beef or lamb - and was served over potatoes.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Of course, coming to Colorado from Minnesota by way of Montana, the first time in my 68 years that I saw the term "Sunday Gravy" was right here a couple of weeks ago (even though my best friend in Montana was Italian/Irish, and his father came over in his teens with his parents and homesteaded in central Montana - apparently Sunday gravy is a (New England Italian colloquialism). This has to be a very localized appellation for what the rest of the world calls tomato or spaghetti sauce.

What we always had on Sunday that we called gravy was made from the drippings from the meat we had for dinner that day - usually chicken or pork, less commonly beef or lamb - and was served over potatoes.
You could be right. Although Julia stated that a gravy had meat cooked in it or the results of meats cooking with the liquid. Sauce has no meats.

Italian Sunday gravy in this area of the country always has meatballs, and other meats cooked in it. First the meatballs are fried on all sides and then placed in the big pot with the tomato sauce. Now it was a gravy. Any juices (including all the fat) was placed in the gravy also. Some of the gravy was placed in the pan and all those little pieces of heaven are scraped off and dumped into the big pot also. Nothing went to waste.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't eat anything that has raisins. It is like biting into a wet squishy bug.
Yup! And the sauce was thick and sweet, Yuck!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Of course, coming to Colorado from Minnesota by way of Montana, the first time in my 68 years that I saw the term "Sunday Gravy" was right here a couple of weeks ago
I'm practically a native of California and I'd never heard of Sunday Gravy either before coming to DC. We always had ground meat (beef and/or sausage) and sometimes prepared meatballs, but never a whole piece of meat in our pasta sauce. We just called it "Spaghetti Sauce". Pasta sauce without meat is Marinara Sauce.

Quote:
Yep, that was "Sunday Gravy" here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #78
Senior Cook

Quote:
I totally agree, Addie. I've never liked raisins - EVER. Oddly enough I like other dried fruits like dates, figs & cherries. Just not raisins. I like grapes just fine.

I think it is a textural thing. Most of the foods I don't like are due to texture. I loathe Lasagne, ricotta & cottage cheeses as well.

I do like Marscapone cheese & most other pastas - unless they have ricotta curds. The only thing I can think of is that it is textural. Go figure.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelinde View Post
I totally agree, Addie. I've never liked raisins - EVER. Oddly enough I like other dried fruits like dates, figs & cherries. Just not raisins. I like grapes just fine.

I think it is a textural thing. Most of the foods I don't like are due to texture. I loathe Lasagna, ricotta & cottage cheeses as well.

I do like Marscapone cheese & most other pastas - unless they have ricotta curds. The only thing I can think of is that it is textural. Go figure.
In this town, ricotta is almost a holy food. And I hate it. And cottage cheese. I used to eat cottage cheese as a kid. But my taste buds have made dramatic changes over the years. I am not a big fan of lasagna either. If I am served it, I always scrape off the ricotta. And there are so many foods here that have ricotta in it. Even the so called desserts. There is this specialty that is called Lobster Claw. It is made with Phyllo dough and stuffed with seasoned ricotta. It is so sweet that even though I don't have a tooth in my mouth, my teeth sitting in the bathroom in a cup of water, ache with just my thinking about it. Yet the folks here go crazy to buy them. I have seen bakeries in the North End of Boston with lines out the door at Easter and Christmas time with folks wanting to buy them. And they are not cheap at all.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm practically a native of California and I'd never heard of Sunday Gravy either before coming to DC. We always had ground meat (beef and/or sausage) and sometimes prepared meatballs, but never a whole piece of meat in our pasta sauce. We just called it "Spaghetti Sauce". Pasta sauce without meat is Marinara Sauce.

Yep, that was "Sunday Gravy" here.
I am beginning to think it is a term heard mostly here in Boston and about. So if I refer to it as gravy, and you call it sauce then at least we both understand what we are talking about.

Tags
cook