Dry Roast Lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
A little while ago I decided to cook a traditional Aussie Lamb Roast. I followed the basic instructions, cooking times and temps, and it looked great when done BUT was really dry and not as moist as I recall the lamb roasts my mother cooked. Any iodea what I did wrong?

A little while ago I decided to cook a traditional Aussie Lamb Roast. I followed the basic instructions, cooking times and temps, and it looked great when done BUT was really dry and not as moist as I recall the lamb roasts my mother cooked. Any iodea what I did wrong?
I love lamb. I generally do lamb chops (marinated and grilled) but recently made a lamb roast in the slow cooker that was fabulous. I'm guessing the recipe you followed might have been off? With the slow cooker I used some liquid and had the lid off. Did your recipe call for any liquid in the roasting pan? Was there a lid?

When in Oz I' regularly have Lamb Chops - buy a tray of 12 or 24from Safeways, cook em up and what wasn't eaten went in the fridge for when ever - I loved em a lot. Sadly you can't get lamb chops here so far as I know :(

As for the roast, I cooked it the same way my mother did and the way I do a Roast Beef - slap it in a Baking Pan, baste it with a bit of olive oil, set the temp and time and let it go, basting it with it's own juices and turning it every half hour or so. Worked on about 30 minutes per pound for well done as I do with Beef.

In hindsight, I think I may have cooked it at topo low a temp and for too long from memory I think I set the temp at 350F when it probably should have been 375 and cooked a little less time - I don't know but pretty much ruined a $60 Lamb Roast - it was edible but only just in my opinion :(

When in Oz I' regularly have Lamb Chops - buy a tray of 12 or 24from Safeways, cook em up and what wasn't eaten went in the fridge for when ever - I loved em a lot. Sadly you can't get lamb chops here so far as I know :(

As for the roast, I cooked it the same way my mother did and the way I do a Roast Beef - slap it in a Baking Pan, baste it with a bit of olive oil, set the temp and time and let it go, basting it with it's own juices and turning it every half hour or so. Worked on about 30 minutes per pound for well done as I do with Beef.

In hindsight, I think I may have cooked it at topo low a temp and for too long from memory I think I set the temp at 350F when it probably should have been 375 and cooked a little less time - I don't know but pretty much ruined a $60 Lamb Roast - it was edible but only just in my opinion :(
Do you have a slow cooker? Maybe you can try adding a bit of water and the juices and try to cook it longer? Seems a shame to toss a $60 roast. It must be challenging going from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Also ovens aren't always reliable...

I assume the roast was a leg of lamb. Was it rolled and tied or more laid out. Well done meats can easily dry out. So if it was cooked too long after it reached well done, it would be dry. Did you use a meat thermometer?

I often buy rack of lamb and cut them into individual chops (lamb lollipops).

20231127_231326.jpg

Edited to add:

Marinated in citrus, ginger, honey, and soy sauce with fresh herbs, then grilled to medium-rare.

Last edited:
I figured you overcooked it. Or you had a bad cut (maybe even sheep)
You can cook lamb at real low temps, just takes a long time, but it will be tender.

On a side note: we don't see lamb here very often and most restaurants will use goat instead (esp Chinese ones, lamb curry is generally goat curry. Still pretty good though)

As for your roast, in case you haven't finished it yet: cube and heat slowly in a sauce

I figured you overcooked it. Or you had a bad cut (maybe even sheep)
You can cook lamb at real low temps, just takes a long time, but it will be tender.

On a side note: we don't see lamb here very often and most restaurants will use goat instead (esp Chinese ones, lamb curry is generally goat curry. Still pretty good though)

As for your roast, in case you haven't finished it yet: cube and heat slowly in a sauce
I'm going to guess the Aussie dude knows the difference between lamb and mutton (or goat)!

Did you buy US raised lamb? Or Australian? Or New Zealand? I have heard / read that there is a big difference between US raised lamb and that raised in Australia and New Zealand. That could have been what made the difference in result.

you overcooked it, the internal temp is what you should watch not the clock.
120f rare, 135f med, 145 well.
if you don't have a meat thermometer you can stick a steel skewer in and place it on your bottom lip , just warm is rare.

Last edited:
I'm another vote in that it was overcooked.
If there is any leftover you could, as mentioned , cube and sauce/gravy it. Or grind it up, add onion, also ground or grated, add some small cubed cooked potato, pan fry.... You've got HASH!

Did you buy US raised lamb? Or Australian? Or New Zealand? I have heard / read that there is a big difference between US raised lamb and that raised in Australia and New Zealand. That could have been what made the difference in result.
I've heard that from some people too, unfortunately no seems to be able to say "what" those differences are. The breed? the air? the grass?
I've had both Canadian and New Zealand chops, but far enough apart I found no discernable difference other than I served one herb rubbed and one with Mint sauce.

Pulled lamb is cooked longer with added moisture. It does depend on the cut, also. For pulled lamb there has to be enough fat/marbling, much like a pork roast (shoulder or butt).

Typically, American raised lamb is bigger and milder tasting than Australian raised lamb. This is due to its diet. American raised lamb may be grass fed but is also fed grain. Australian (and New Zealand) raised lamb is just grass fed.

For roasted lamb, a person favorite btw I use leg of lamb. I'll debone it and you can buy it deboned and remove larger fat deposits, then I'll butterfly to ensure it's approximately the same thickness and then generally marinade in evoo, garlic, herbs and some lemon for 8 to 24 hours. I'll also dry rub with different spice blends. I like to grill (on the barbie) over the highest heat to generate a crispy crust and I pull it at around 120-130 degrees F.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom