Roasted chicken question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
when roasting chicken is it done when temp reaches 165 degrees? I roasted some drudrumsticks and the temperature was way over 165 and they were dry.

Yes, the dark meat on chicken is done at 165F. Overcooking it can definitely dry it out.

The white meat can be cooked to a lower temp, from 150-160, depending on taste.

It depends...
I cook it quite often on grill or weber smokey mountain to a higher temperature and it is never dry. But I tend to marinate my chicken or brine.
Moist cooking (like in a sauce) also won't make it dry at higher temps
So, it's up to you, just don't go too low and remember there is residual heat. The chicken cooks on for a bit even though taken out of oven or pan

All chicken meat (dark and white) is safe to eat at 165ºF. I prefer dark meat cooked to 175ºF-185ºF for texture improvement. Undercooked dark meat is tougher.

So, if you're roasting a whole chicken, put it in the oven feet first/breasts nearest the oven door. The rear of the oven is hotter. Take the chicken out of the oven when the breasts are at 150ºF to 155ºF and the thighs are around 170ºF, cover it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. During the resting time the temps will continue to rise to about the correct levels. Then carve and enjoy.

Dark meat safe to eat at 165 but because it has more connective tissue, it is more toothsome when cooked to 175 or even 180, final temp.

But, as Andy points out importantly, the meat will continue to cook even after it’s off the heat. This is called “carry over.” So, again, like Andy suggested, take legs and thighs off at 168-170. Then let them rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom