"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Post Cooking community in your town as a platform to share

Hello y'all,

I need some help from this community to get some feedback for our platform. I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that I love cooking for others so i went ahead and quit my 9-5 job to start building this awesome platform for everyone that is interested! We are almost there to release it

We are trying to encourage people to start sharing authentic dishes and recipes around their community for those people that would love to pay you for your authentic dishes. We are location based so you'd have to deliver it!! you can get some extra cash in your pocket

We are trying to create this community in real-time and bring it to you because We believe that we can have an alternative to traditional fast food and unhealthy processed food!! + Why not show off our skills and build communities in our local areas! I would like to know if this is something that you guys would ever use in your community? We are making it easy for everyone to start offering and displaying their dishes on our mobile platform (iOS and Android) We are almost there, but I need your help to get some feedback from another cooking community. I know that in my town there's at least 15 People that will love sharing what they make around our little town. Let me know your thoughts and be brutally honest!! This forum was recommended to me by some of my friend so I went ahead and just posted the question!! I'd love to hear from you guys!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Master Chef

There have been endless discussions about this business model on other cooking sites, like Chowhound and Serious Eats.

It presents a vast array of serious legal and liability issues that need to be addressed, beyond the basic issue of whether people would buy food cooked by a stranger in a strange kitchen.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Cook

My first thought was your county's health code.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Head Chef

Here is an article about an app that is trying that idea using chefs. ‘Uber of Home Cooking’ Allows User to Buy and Sell Homemade Meals | FWx

Notice the part about " Additionally, it also seems to operate– much like Airbnb and Uber –in a bit of a legal gray area. Foodie Shares seem to hope that their status as a “private community” will help circumvent any issues from the health department."
Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Here is an article about an app that is trying that idea using chefs. ‘Uber of Home Cooking’ Allows User to Buy and Sell Homemade Meals | FWx

Notice the part about " Additionally, it also seems to operate– much like Airbnb and Uber –in a bit of a legal gray area. Foodie Shares seem to hope that their status as a “private community” will help circumvent any issues from the health department."
Note the hope part.

The thing is that in most if not all communities "ALL food for sale" kitchens have to be approved by the county health department and inspected on a regular basis.
This includes food trucks.

I do not think it is possible to circumvent health codes.

Looked at that article. Hope no one gets sick.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher. I don't think someone would feed themselves with something that they won't eat.... .

@Powerplantop -- You're right its like a legal gray area which we've already discussed and got some legal help as well!

I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Btw if we keep getting our food from fast food establishment, do we really know what's going on behind the kitchen? We rely on health inspectors but they can't inspect everything that is happening 24/7... so why not do it differently...
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

Not to mention that the people who cook the food will likely have to take out a lot of commercial liability insurance.

And who knows if they can cook or know anything about food safety?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL P View Post
I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher. I don't think someone would feed themselves with something that they won't eat.... .

@Powerplantop -- You're right its like a legal gray area which we've already discussed and got some legal help as well!

I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!
Legalities aside, rules aside.
Can you guarantee that the food will come from a clean, safe kitchen?
Also can you guarantee the food will be exactly what the chef will be?

Now yes, if I knew a Greek in town, I would gladly buy the foods they need and pay for them to fix me a gyro.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I mean, when you get in a regular taxi do they guarantee you that you'll arrive safely? VS using uber.... There's a lot of barriers but I believe that decentralization gives you access to a wider spectrum. Yes there's laws and such but shouldn't we able to make our own decisions.. You have the power to choose whether you go to your regular establishment or have the option to get it from someone privately

Tags
cook, cooking