"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

Yep. I'm a member of this club as well. Fortunately though, It's colder outside than in my refrigerator at this time of year. When I need to cool something, I set in in the snow in my yard. I know it will cool faster than in an ice bath, and be cold enough to be safe if I forget it. The downside to this, it must be something that freezes well, just in case.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I like the idea of you GN but, still if I ever have the chance to out it outside. I will have the timer as reminder that I still have a work to do. :D

Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
I like the idea of you GN but, still if I ever have the chance to out it outside. I will have the timer as reminder that I still have a work to do. :D
Yup, or I'll find it a week later with a squirrel inside it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Barbara, what a fantastic idea! Setting a timer on my phone would be perfect for me. I can't believe I never thought to do it, since I use a timer app all the time when I'm cooking.
My problem is out of sight, out of mind. Even though my dogs don't counter surf, I still set a pot of something in the microwave to cool just to get it off the counter, and sure enough, when I'm waking up the next day I'm thinking I never got it out to put in the fridge, lol. Next time I'm letting something cool a bit I'm going to set a timer on my phone. Even if I go to bed I will here it, since I'll have the phone with me.

So yeah, been there done that too, RL.

Great suggestion, Barbara.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Did the same thing recently, but got up at 6am and boiled the stock at a hard boil for 10 minutes or more. Everything was fine ..... The stock made delicious soup and guess what? We're still alive. My grandfather always keep a pot of soup at a slow simmer on the back of the stove. He added to it each day. We ate from that pot every day and no one ever got sick (my grandfather lived to 103!). Just lucky or ........?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Barbara, what a fantastic idea! Setting a timer on my phone would be perfect for me. I can't believe I never thought to do it, since I use a timer app all the time when I'm cooking.
My problem is out of sight, out of mind. Even though my dogs don't counter surf, I still set a pot of something in the microwave to cool just to get it off the counter, and sure enough, when I'm waking up the next day I'm thinking I never got it out to put in the fridge, lol. Next time I'm letting something cool a bit I'm going to set a timer on my phone. Even if I go to bed I will here it, since I'll have the phone with me.

So yeah, been there done that too, RL.

Great suggestion, Barbara.
Thanks! I don't trust my poor old brain for much anymore!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks! I don't trust my poor old brain for much anymore!
That's what technology is for.
I just hope I can still figure out the new stuff as it evolves
Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Master Chef

My kitchen can be so chilly that , well, I could probably use it! Not kidding. I wouldn't when I lived in Florida or Hawaii, but here I'd have a cup of it myself, then move on if I felt OK (seriously, I mean the fat would be solid on the top of the pot, I think my fridge is warmer). But I, too, hate to throw food out, especially when I've worked so hard.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Did the same thing recently, but got up at 6am and boiled the stock at a hard boil for 10 minutes or more. Everything was fine ..... The stock made delicious soup and guess what? We're still alive. My grandfather always keep a pot of soup at a slow simmer on the back of the stove. He added to it each day. We ate from that pot every day and no one ever got sick (my grandfather lived to 103!). Just lucky or ........?
You indeed were "just lucky" you're still alive Shelly, and your whole family too. Speaking as one who was hospitalized and nearly died from food poisoning, through no fault of my own, I think playing food Russian Roulette is as ridiculous as the half loaded gun.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've taken to using a timer, too. Bad case of C.R.S. here, too!