cooking Sherry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Is there somewhere that I'm likely to find small amounts of sherry for a recipe?

My wife and I don't drink and we've never tried this recipe before so its possible that we may never make it again.

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sherry and we already checked all our friends who drink to see if they had some we could have.

I'm thinking of stopping by a liquor store but I don't know if they have really small bottles of sherry or just full size ones.

Sherry really has a very distincive flavor .... you would be better off to omit it than try to substitute for it. And, for heavens sake, stay away from that crap in the grocery store called "cooking sherry" - it's mostly salt and really crappy sherry.

Check the liquor store ... I don't remember ever seeing a small bottle - but they would know if they were available.

Michael is right on - no cooking sherry.

In the liquor store, you can pick up a bottle of dry or pale dry sherry for $5 or less. It will be a full-sized bottle but will last for a very long time as it's a fortified wine.

Ditto on the absolutely positively NO cooking sherry - a bottle is VERY inexpensive and it will last for years - so eventually you're bound to use it maybe one more thing. We can buy ours at the grocery store in the wine department. If you use fresh ginger you can peel and slice the ginger then put in a small bottle and cover with the sherry - will last a VERY long time - like over a year - like this. You can then use the ginger-infused sherry in some wok cooking or other dishes. Just add more sherry as necessary.

a related question. The same recipe suggests the use of unsweetened apple juice as a replacement for the sherry. How similiar are they. Unsweetened apple juice is probably tough to find too though.

Personally I don't think they are similar but I can see where that apple flavor would fit nicely as a substitute. You may find unsweetened apple juice at a health food store - and possibly on the upper shelf of the grocery store where some of the more natural juices are i.e., cranberry.

[font=Comic Sans MS, Arial]Alcohol Substitutes for Recipes[/font]

gingham-bar-medium.gif

[size=-1]Here's a helpful list that suggests substitutes for a variety of alcoholic beverages. Quantities and substitutes vary, depending on the recipe used.[/size]

• [size=-1]Amaretto:[/size][size=-1] non-alcoholic almond extract; orgeat Italian soda syrup; or marzipan.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Applejack or apple brandy:[/size][size=-1] Unsweetened apple juice concentrate; apple juice; apple cider; or apple butter.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Apricot brandy:[/size][size=-1] Syrup from canned apricots in heavy syrup; or apricot preserves.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Bourbon:[/size][size=-1] Non-alcoholic vanilla extract.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Champagne and other sparkling wines:[/size][size=-1] Sparkling apple cider; sparkling cranberry juice; or sparkling grape juice.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Cherry liqueur or brandy:[/size][size=-1] Syrup from canned cherries in heavy syrup; Italian soda cherry syrup; or cherry preserves.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Coffee liqueur or brandy:[/size][size=-1] Espresso; non-alcoholic coffee extract; or coffee syrup.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Creme de cacao:[/size][size=-1] Powdered white chocolate mixed with water; non-alcoholic vanilla extract and powdered sugar.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Creme de cassis:[/size][size=-1] Black currant Italian soda syrup; or black currant jam.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Creme de menthe[/size][size=-1]: Mint Italian soda syrup; or non-alcoholic mint extract.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Gewurztraminer:[/size][size=-1] White grape juice mixed with lemon juice, water, and a pinch of powdered sugar.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Licorice or anise flavored liqueur:[/size][size=-1] Anise Italian soda syrup; or fennel.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Mirin:[/size][size=-1] White grape juice mixed with lemon juice or zest.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Muscat:[/size][size=-1] White grape juice mixed with water and powdered sugar[/size]
  • [size=-1]Orange liqueur or brandy:[/size][size=-1] Unsweetened orange juice concentrate; orange zest; orange juice; or marmalade.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Peach brandy:[/size][size=-1] Syrup from canned peaches in heavy syrup; or peach preserves.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Peppermint schnapps:[/size][size=-1] Mint Italian soda syrup; non-alcoholic mint extract; or mint leaves[/size]
  • [size=-1]Port:[/size][size=-1] Concord grape juice mixed with lime zest; or cranberry juice mixed with lemon juice[/size]
  • [size=-1]Red wine:[/size][size=-1] Grape juice; vegetable stock; cranberry juice; tomato juice; or concord grape jelly.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Riesling:[/size][size=-1] White grape juice mixed with water and a pinch of powdered sugar.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Rum:[/size][size=-1] Non-alcoholic vanilla or rum extract.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Sherry:[/size][size=-1] Apple cider; non-alcoholic vanilla extract; coffee; or coffee syrup.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Vermouth:[/size][size=-1] Apple cider; or apple juice mixed with lemon juice and water.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Vodka:[/size][size=-1] Water; apple cider or white grape juice mixed with lime juice.[/size]
  • [size=-1]White wine:[/size][size=-1] White grape juice; apple cider; apple juice; vegetable stock; or water.[/size]

I think most apple juice that's labelled ' 100% juice' doesn't have added sugars to it; check your grocery store brands to see.

Amen on the cooking sherry. We usually find some at the grocery store.

Hey Z, thanks. This is good info to post over in terms & techniques as well.

Gosh, it is a real shame that one does not see sherry in miniature bottles.

It does keep for a good while once opened and you might find other uses for it. Try deglazing a meat pan with it and cooking most all of the alcohol out as you make a sauce.

Some sherry bottlers used to sell half bottles, but I have not seen them in years.

Don't get the sweetest sherry for cooking. Nor do you need to get the most expensive stuff. A bottle of California or even New York State should not break the budget.

Add a cup of sherry along with an granny smith apple cut in half to the cavity of your turkey bird - them make gravy from it - OMG - there is nothing better than sherry gravy!!!!!!

I think the unsweetened apple juice will be more expensive.

Just buy the sherry and store it. If anything, it will give you more motivation to try other recipes that use sherry which will not only help you to finish the bottle, but to expand your culinary horizons as well.

just a word on cooking sherry- it's very, very salty. i'd go with the apple juice.
if you do go with the sherry, do you have a friend who likes alcohol who you could give the leftovers to? i usually just give alcohol away to my Parents if i don't like it. i just gave my Mom some wine.

Mr_Dove said:
a related question. The same recipe suggests the use of unsweetened apple juice as a replacement for the sherry. How similiar are they. Unsweetened apple juice is probably tough to find too though.

Not at all similar in any respect, IMO

And neither is vanilla extract, another listed sub for sherry.

Just say NO to cooking sherry from the supermarket!

Humm .... after having been duly chastised by someone for my views that you really can't follow that sub chart if you want the same flavors ... I guess the question would have to be .... (drum roll please) ... What's the recipe????

That's an excellent question!!! The recipe would be helpful - I don't know why but I think apple juice sounds like it would a similar character. But like you said Michael - it's hard to tell without knowing the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom