"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Do you prefer to follow recipes or experiment?

I dont cook very often, but I would like to get into it more. My parents cook dinners and bake sometimes but they dont cook speacial dishes or anything and I have cable, I cant find many cooking shows :(.

But to the point. Do you prefer to follow recipes or mix things and invent your own dishes? Personally the latter sounds more fun to me, but I dont know ingredients well or anything, which I assume is normal considering Im a novice. How long does it take to get used to it all and be able to mix things together with success? How do you begin too cook legitemite dishes?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I have a few things too add.

Im finding it frustrating, I learned how to make a good omlette, and I enjoyed making it a lot, but I dont know what too do now, I dont know where too start, do I look at recipes? Im not used to all the ingredients, what they are and where to get them if I dont have them, the utensils and tools you need for them and how exactly you put it all together. As pathetic as this may be, I think I may have found something I might love, but Im finding it incredibly frustrating to get started. Im thinking of getting a book like cooking for dummies or something.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Lotsofjunk. First...Welcome to DC. You'll enjoy our big foodie family.

Now to your question...when I see a recipe I like, I prepare it according to the directions the first time. That way I can see what it's supposed to be. After that, if I find it necessary, I adjust to my taste. It's fun playing with a recipe. Sometimes it turns out completely differently than what you began with originally. That's some of the fun of cooking. The adventure!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You can have a lot of fun with this.

I recommend you start by picking up some basic cookbooks and making different recipes. Follow the directions in the recipes so you can learn how the ingredients work together and so you can get accustomed to the actual physical aspects of preparing a meal.

Then you can start by experimenting. Change a herb or spice, try the recipe with a different protein, etc. As you become more accustomed to the whole cooking process, making changes in existing recipes and creating your own will become easier and more successful.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I probably started out following the recipe, but now I experiment quite a bit. If I make a sauce that I think is just great, I'm immediately thinking what else can I use this sauce on.

I suggest that you use the internet to get into cooking. There are a lot of sites out there that will take you through a recipe step-by-step with pictures, and some of the pictures are out of this world. One that immediately comes to mind is The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond. She cooks the kind of dishes that appeal to me, and I just love to look at her pictures .
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

i'm not crafty enough, so, i follow the recipes.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Head Chef

One can only experiment if they are working from a base of knowledge created from recipes. There may still be a question of which came first with the egg-chicken issue, but recipes came first, followed by experimenting once your confidence is up (or you get bored).
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

First try at a recipe, I follow it,although by now I know what herbs and spices I prefer so will change them in the recipe if it's something I don't care for. Other times if we liked the recipe I might change the type of meat or breading or a veggie..You will find it's fun to try your hand at something new..Cooking is an adventure so try out your ideas..If your not sure of an herb or spice come here and ask..all of us are more than happy to help you.

kadesma
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Hi, Lotsofjunk. First...Welcome to DC. You'll enjoy our big foodie family.

Now to your question...when I see a recipe I like, I prepare it according to the directions the first time. That way I can see what it's supposed to be. After that, if I find it necessary, I adjust to my taste. It's fun playing with a recipe. Sometimes it turns out completely differently than what you began with originally. That's some of the fun of cooking. The adventure!
Thank you :)

But I would like too be able to prepare a meal someday, a very good one without having to look at a recipe at all, and not in the near future of course.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsofjunk View Post
Thank you :)

But I would like too be able to prepare a meal someday, a very good one without having to look at a recipe at all, and not in the near future of course.
That is why you try out a recipe..Do you have any idea what you would like to prepare? Chicken, beef,fish, veal, pasta? Choose you main dish and then decide side dishes, salad, bread/rolls dessert...It takes time to learn so practice on a main dish, get that down and go on to the next..A recipe will ensure a good meal first time around. Pick something fairly simple..you can do it. You just have to take all the advice and help you can get..
kadesma