Does this look bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
People on chinese forum say this looks bad... do you think so?
This is my first time making chicken scallopini. The chicken is a bit thick for authenticity, but... I really don't like the thin skinny chicken cutlets served in restaurants. I like the texture similar to a schnitzel so I made it thick. Sauce is lime (ran out of lemon) caper with mushroom. Served on plain risotto

2i7bcxy.jpg

Well, it doesn't look like Chinese food. It looks fine for a chicken scallopine and risotto.

I think it looks fine. I think the problem is you are posting to a Chinese Cooking forum but you are not cooking Chinese and I am guessing they are looking for things to be photographed and presented in a certain way.

Whether or not people say it looks bad, or don't say anything at all, shouldn't really matter if you are happy with it.
I'd eat it.

I mean.. I'm not looking for any professional looks, I just wonder when you look at it, does it make you feel like to eat it? I don't understand why the chinese people just don't like anything I make

I need some clarification. Is the Chinese forum a Chinese food forum or a different kind of forum?

I mean.. I'm not looking for any professional looks, I just wonder when you look at it, does it make you feel like to eat it? I don't understand why the chinese people just don't like anything I make

They may be trying to prove that a white man can't cook. Hate to say it that way but I get some of that on my YT videos.

Back to the original question which one would you prefer to eat yours or this one.

img_1003836_0_1dde47b1ef17c11b90642a486516bf2a.jpg

Looks to me that you are shooting in low light. Also read your cameras manual and look for a food setting.

I need some clarification. Is the Chinese forum a Chinese food forum or a different kind of forum?

It's a forum composed of chinese students and nonstudents living abroad. They post all kinds of food, chinese and western. they all seem to be very pro both in terms of plating, garnishing and photography. and everyone else just say really nice and butt-kissing things to them. makes me feel like sheit all the time.

They may be trying to prove that a white man can't cook. Hate to say it that way but I get some of that on my YT videos.

Back to the original question which one would you prefer to eat yours or this one.

Looks to me that you are shooting in low light. Also read your cameras manual and look for a food setting.

well I'm chinese so they can't prove that on me lol. I don't think there's food setting but I'll check. but I realize that even with a camera phone, just a little sunlight will make the photo really crisp and shiny, I don't know why. unfortunately, when dinner is ready there's usually no sunlight

honestly I don't care about photography.. no I mean, I love photography, but just not indoor night photography. I enjoy outdoor landscape.

anyways, I just dont' understand why people can't see through the quality of photography and tell whether the food looks good

i think you have a button that is enscribed with the word "push" in chinese.

it looks fine, hyp.

People on chinese forum say this looks bad... do you think so?
This is my first time making chicken scallopini. The chicken is a bit thick for authenticity, but... I really don't like the thin skinny chicken cutlets served in restaurants. I like the texture similar to a schnitzel so I made it thick. Sauce is lime (ran out of lemon) caper with mushroom. Served on plain risotto

2i7bcxy.jpg
If by "looks bad" you mean the color of the dish, it could just be the way the camera translates the picture on the site - but, it looks good enough to eat! I would eat it in a heartbeat. I think because Chinese people do their food in smaller portions and bite sized pieces, it might look overwhelming to them? Also they tend to use more veggies in what they cook and less "gravy". But, never fear, from the description and plateing (sp) it looks fine to me.

As far as a photograph goes it is lousy (sorry), but as far as food that I would eat goes, I am betting it is delicious.

My advice is to stop posting food pics on that other forum and post them here instead.

Back
Top Bottom