"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The only way to catch crabs here in Montana is down at the hole in the wall bar...
Not as good as a lobster on your piano...

Don't you get crayfish in Montana?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #32
Master Chef

I, too, put chunks of peeled ginger in sherry/port/sake /vermouth and keep in a jar in the fridge. When I'm through, the liquid is great when soy, garlic, and cornstarch are added to thicken a stir-fry.

Another thing is retrieving bones from dinner for soup. Even a pork chop bone, or leftover rib bones, etc, can turn into really good stock. One of my most infamous (and often repeated) soups came from having tons of leftover chicken wings that were too hot for most of our fellow diners at a restaurant. I took them all home, along with the celery and carrot sticks that were sitting there, and made a hot-and-sour soup that was to die for. Now I always order extra chicken wings and take home all that our friends/family cannot eat. Wonderful soup.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, put chunks of peeled ginger in sherry/port/sake /vermouth and keep in a jar in the fridge. When I'm through, the liquid is great when soy, garlic, and cornstarch are added to thicken a stir-fry.

Another thing is retrieving bones from dinner for soup. Even a pork chop bone, or leftover rib bones, etc, can turn into really good stock. One of my most infamous (and often repeated) soups came from having tons of leftover chicken wings that were too hot for most of our fellow diners at a restaurant. I took them all home, along with the celery and carrot sticks that were sitting there, and made a hot-and-sour soup that was to die for. Now I always order extra chicken wings and take home all that our friends/family cannot eat. Wonderful soup.
Some people think that is icky, but after simmering for hours, there aren't any live microbes left.

In Edna Staebler's More Food That Really Schmecks she mentions a friend who does that. Her kids call it garbage soup, but they love it. We had chicken "garbage soup" tonight.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Not as good as a lobster on your piano...

Don't you get crayfish in Montana?
Not that I have noticed. I don't fish, I just watch and our last fishing trip is not fit for here but in the Off Topic Forum, if anyone is interested I'll post it there.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #35
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it's past the season for this year, but chicken necks and backs are great for crabbing.

and then go home, clean them, and toss in basil and gralic tomato sauce just before you call me for dinner.

The crabs or the necks......LOL

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
edible food parts that many of us unnecessarily throw into the trash, and how to prepare them...

One of mine:
The big bunch of leaves attached to little marbles of red radish - I wash and pickle them in a lot of salt, in the frig, for two/three days, rinse, and chop them finely like parsley for finishing. It's milder, but they also have radish's pungency; and it's leafier, but they also retain radish's "crunch." Use it as a relish.

broccoli stems, shrimp shells for stock, leek greens, etc. What are some other ways to eliminate waste and stretch our purchases by cooking and eating food parts that we normally discard?
How do you save the leek greens, whole or chopped? I've always tossed mine out as I'd heard that they were too tough to eat. Do you just use them for seasoning and then pull them out? This would be great, I really hate throwing away food.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The only way to catch crabs here in Montana is down at the hole in the wall bar...
The stinkier the bait, the more likely to catch crabs.

I always core and trash my cabbage hearts. I have no reason why I don't dice and toss it into my breakfast hash.

I like the whole idea of using discards for production, bones to bag crabs, maybe putting my green onion ends into a pool of water to see if it grows instead of trashing it...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The stinkier the bait, the more likely to catch crabs.

I always core and trash my cabbage hearts. I have no reason why I don't dice and toss it into my breakfast hash.

I like the whole idea of using discards for production, bones to bag crabs, maybe putting my green onion ends into a pool of water to see if it grows instead of trashing it...

LOL!!! I won't be trolling for crabs...
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #39
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I remember one day walking down on the pier at work and there were some guys crabbing and their chicken necks were floating in the water. They had bought chicken necks from the meat case that were partially frozen and were trying to crab with them.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #40
Senior Cook

For me, others that it should not be in a dish like roots, damage leaves, stems etc..
I make the a stock. I use as my water base for any dishes and it is really tasty. :)