"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Dry goods in the fridge?

Now that we finally got rid of bed bugs here, awhile back there appeared roaches! I think they're coming from up the sink drain and I've only seen them in my cupboard above the sink. I also found one in the bathtub.

I'm beyond exasperated. I had absolutely no uncovered or unsealed food in my cupboard, but I moved everything over to the hutch.

Anyway, I went out this week and bought replacement flour, sugar, etc, because I do that once a year whether I need to or not (now I notice my flour has a USE BY date of next January). I threw out all the old stuff, washed out all the canisters and jars, and filled them up.

Thing is, I still have a lot left over. My canisters are small and I have no idea why I can't find small boxes of brown sugar, etc, these days. At any rate, I have flour, Bisquick, brown sugar, and powdered sugar left over in their bags. And of course, I just found out I ran out of large and small freezer bags. I see another store trip coming up (I forgot buttermilk, anyway).

Because I don't want to leave anything that isn't completely sealed in my cupboard or hutch, I put them all in the fridge. I will put a note on the board downstairs asking if anyone wants the extra, but meantime, is a fridge a good idea or not?

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You are still in your apartment? If they are in your apartment, they are in every other apartment too. Notify the manager. Yes, for right now, put all the dry goods in the refrigerator.

How are your moving plans going?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

Check the $tore for small quantities of sugar, flour, etc...

Before you run out and buy storage containers check the recycling bin for some pint and quart jars from spaghetti sauce, salsa, peanut butter, etc...

Wash them, scald them with boiling water, dry and use them to store your dry goods.

Good luck!!!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

We store grains, beans, dried fruit, pasta, nuts, old fashion rolled oats, in 5 gallon sealed buckets from home improvement stores. We have a dozen of them, we use them for all kinds of things, bringing in tomatoes from the garden, hauling dirt, sauerkraut fermenting. They are easy to move from one place to another so they might come in handy for moving.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If I buy extra flour or some kind of flour I know I won't use up soon, I put it in the freezer. I think putting your extra stuff in the fridge to keep them away from the roaches is a good idea. But, do get management to get rid of those critters ASAP.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I put all that stuff (except sugar that goes into a gallon jar) in the refrigerator once it's opened. But first it goes into the freezer for a week or so just in case something rode home in the bag... and that has happened.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
Head Chef

Hmm, well, maybe I'll leave what I have in the fridge and just try to give it away as soon as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You are still in your apartment? If they are in your apartment, they are in every other apartment too. Notify the manager. Yes, for right now, put all the dry goods in the refrigerator.

Yes, I'm still here, still waiting on the water. *sigh* It'll be a bit yet before I move.

As for the roaches, no one else has complained yet and quite frankly, after having my room torn apart to have them spray for bedbugs, I'd just as soon ignore the roaches, especially since I haven't seen them in a while.

I get so tired of the inspections. I just had one done by the housing department last month, now the county is showing up in June to test all the smoke alarms and stuff, even though the housing authority just did that. So far in the last year, I've been required to be here 6 or more days to allow someone access to my room for checks and testing. If I had a job and had to tell my employer I had to take that much time off for this stuff, I'd be fired.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
Head Chef

Hmm, well, maybe I'll leave what I have in the fridge and just try to give it away as soon as possible.

Quote:

Yes, I'm still here, still waiting on the water. *sigh* It'll be a bit yet before I move.

As for the roaches, no one else has complained yet and quite frankly, after having my room torn apart multiple times to have them to check and spray for bedbugs, I'd just as soon ignore the roaches, especially since I haven't seen them in a while.

I get so tired of the inspections. I just had one done by the housing department last month, now the county is showing up in June to test all the smoke alarms and stuff, even though the housing authority just did that. So far in the last year, I've been required to be here 6 or more days to allow someone access to my room for checks and testing. If I had a job and had to tell my employer I had to take that much time off for this stuff, I'd be fired.

------------------------
Old 06-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thinking that inspections are actually a good thing with your subsidized housing RT. I know it's not convenient but no inspections are far worse when you think of how many live in slum lord conditions. Six inspections for health and safety per year doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thinking that inspections are actually a good thing with your subsidized housing RT. I know it's not convenient but no inspections are far worse when you think of how many live in slum lord conditions. Six inspections for health and safety per year doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
You are right Kayelle. I live in subsidized housing, and I don't mind the inspections at all. Management comes around once a year, and also HUD. Management hates the HUD inspections. And they look to make sure the changes cited at their last inspection were done. They pick which apartments they want to inspect at random. I got them only once in the twelve years I have been here. I got all new blinds thanks to HUD. Roaches were also found in the apartment above me. So management did her apartment along with six other apartments. Mine was one of them, even though I had never seen any. At least management was trying to stay on top of it.

In our lease it states that during inspections, the tenant does not have to be home. The manager has the master key for all the apartments and can enter even if the tenant is not home. But they do have to give a 24 hour notice for inspections. There have been a couple of times when someone has left something in the oven, and smoke was even in the halls. Of course all the alarms went off and we all had to evacuate.

A few years back before I got sick. I hadn't been out of my apartment. No one had seen me. It seems that a rumor had started that I had died in my apartment all alone. So one afternoon, someone went to the Manager and she came up and used her key. I was sound asleep. She woke me up an wanted to know if I was all right. Yeah. I hadn't been seen because it was in the middle of winter and very cold outside. And I don't socialize with the tenants very much. I stay to myself most of the time. But that little event, has now made me let folks see me go down to get my mail, go outside on my scooter, etc.

We also had a mouse problem. Now there are mouse traps in all the trash rooms and along the hallways. Haven't seen any little critters in years.