"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about cannoli? I can buy premade mini shells at the local bakery. I could stuff them on site but have never actually made cannoli before...

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
How about cannoli? I can buy premade mini shells at the local bakery. I could stuff them on site but have never actually made cannoli before...
The filling is easy, the biggest challenge would be keeping whipping cream and utensils cold enough to whip the cream. You might even be able to make the filling at home and take it to the campsite. Another option might be Tiramisu using store bought lady fingers.

Sounds like a possibility!

Deconstructed Cannoli, the internet always amazes me!

Deconstructed Cannoli Chips and Dip Recipe : Jeff Mauro : Food Network

Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wondering about chunks of storebought angel food cake with some type of syrup and topping.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
This could work. You could make the ricotta filling in advance and store it in a tub for filling on the day.

I'd be a little concerned about any humidity softening the cannoli shell.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'd go bop the person who took the cut up fruit idea and steal it back.

Was thinking something like peanut butter rice krispie bars frosted with chocolate. Does the crowd imbibe? There are some really cool ideas for jello shots around. Lemon squares were popular at my little town's picnics back in the day, as were those bars made with coconut, sweetened evaporated milk, and chocolate chips. The Kitchen had some interesting ideas for tapping a watermelon a few weeks ago.

Please please do you have a recipe for this? I have fond memories of this treat and had not thought of it for years, (at least pre-Internet).
Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Easy cook dessert ideas please

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Please please do you have a recipe for this? I have fond memories of this treat and had not thought of it for years, (at least pre-Internet).

Oh shoot, Beth, I don't. I'm not much of a dessert person, though when I do see them at a potluck, I make a beeline. I'll look through the church cookbooks. Those ladies sure knew how to cook!

My friend the Google helped, this sounds authentic. Sprinkle chocolate chips on the hot rice krispies mix and smear them around.
http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-bu...-treats-340946
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
I need some help coming up with dessert ideas that can be made easily with little cooking. Here are the limitations and parameters:
  • Must serve a large group (potluck dinner for about 60).
  • Must be able to make it in a little camper with very little prep space. I have a stove and oven but local temps will be about 90 and I don't want to bake.
  • Refrigeration is limited. Once made it needs to be able to withstand heat for several hours. I have a small fridge that ingredients could be stored in.
  • I need to make it the day of service.
  • Needs to be relatively simple to eat, not too messy. Folks will be balancing plates on their laps..
  • Can't be cut up fruit - someone else has already grabbed this option.

So far I am coming up mostly empty...

I have mulled over making some fancified rice crispie treats that are rolled in toasted sesame seeds and slivered almonds but that seems sort of lame.

This crowd is expecting awesome and I would like to oblige. Any ideas?
That sure doesn't seem lame to me Janet!! Given the circumstances I think your original idea is right on! You could shove some ice cream sticks in the rectangle bars to fancy them up.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That sure doesn't seem lame to me Janet!! Given the circumstances I think your original idea is right on! You could shove some ice cream sticks in the rectangle bars to fancy them up.
Well this is my plan b at this point. I'm going to try cannoli but the popsicle stick idea is awesome!

I looked up recipes for cannoli filling and there are many that don't involve whipped cream. I'm going to try one that is a blend of mascarpone and ricotta. it recommends draining the ricotta overnight which I can do at home.

Regarding humidity making shells soggy - not an issue - it may be as high as 20 %. I live in WA state. Over half of the state is high desert
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Mini chocolate chips are delish in cannoli. Ooh, try cinnamon and chocolate chips!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my favorite desserts when my kids were small was cooked from scratch Chocolate Pudding. It is something that can be cooked at home and transported in a large restaurant type saucepan or two if needed. Servings can be in small paper cups with a plastic spoon. Who doesn't like chocolate?

Tags
cook, dessert, easy, ideas