Embarrassing Binges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Have you ever had one of 'those' moments when sanity and reason are entirely abandoned for a few delicious minutes of magnificent munching on some sinful food? No? Really? I'll go first...

Yesterday I had my annual flu shot - they are usually without issue but this one left me with a sore arm and little fever and generally out of sorts. Caramel corn seemed like the perfect balm.. all I wanted, perfect in fact. I don't stock caramel corn but it's pretty easy to make... so I put the microwave in gear and got busy.

I popped up some fresh corn in coconut oil and a little salt, spread it out on wax paper and then made some fast microwave caramel. I used a fork to drizzle it over the corn, added a handful of sliced almonds and tried it. AWESOME! Perfect. The entire pan was gone in about 40 mins... embarrassing..

Here's the caramel recipe:

3/4 C sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2/3 of a stick of butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a glass bowl melt the sugar, butter and molasses together and mix to combine. Make sure the bowl has lots of room for the boil to expand.

Boil the caramel in microwave stopping every 30 secs to stir once for about 2 mins.

Remove from microwave, add vanilla and baking soda and stir. It will foam.

Quickly drizzle over popped corn. Eat.

popcorn.jpg

What's your favorite guilty pleasure?

My binges are any time I bring home a bag of chips. I literally eat until the entire bag is gone and we're not talking about those little bags, either. It's the reason I try not to buy a lot of junk food, because all I do is inhale, and it's gone!

Date Nut Bread and cream cheese sandwiches. Nuff said. :wub:

I remember ( back in the day), I was studying for finals ( or some important tests). I was living in Philly at the time, and my wife went back to NY , for the weekend , to leave me alone so I could study without any distractions.

Dinner time came. I was studying all day and was hungry. I didn't feel like going out, didn't want to waste any valuable study time. I also had a difficult time deciding if I wanted pizza or chinese. Finally, I said screw it. Ordered a full pie from the pizza place, and two dishes from the chinese place ( most likely vegetable lo mein and vegetable chow mein). I set up the coffee table right in front of the tv. When the food arrived , I put it all on the table, Parked my butt at the table and ate like I never ate before. I figured I was busting my butt studying all weekend, that I deserved to treat myself. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I blame this all on you, Janet (the binge, I mean) ;)

I had nagging headaches most of the day, the kind that get worse with activity. So I didn't eat much. But we were almost out of coffee and I had to pick up a prescription, so - naturally, right after I read this - I went to the grocery store and somehow ended up with a jar of French onion dip and bag of Rrrruffles with Rrridges. I only ate half, yay. Ruined my dinner, though.

I blame this all on you, Janet (the binge, I mean) ;)

I had nagging headaches most of the day, the kind that get worse with activity. So I didn't eat much. But we were almost out of coffee and I had to pick up a prescription, so - naturally, right after I read this - I went to the grocery store and somehow ended up with a jar of French onion dip and bag of Rrrruffles with Rrridges. I only ate half, yay. Ruined my dinner, though.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Whatever I open up to munch on when I'm doing something online. If the bag is on the table next to me, my hand goes bag-to-mouth-to-bag until I seem to run out. :ohmy: I've learned over the years to take a small dish, count out the listed "serving size", and put the bag in the pantry. That way, if I want more to munch on, I have to pick myself up and go get more. Sometime that shames me to stick with the one serving. Other times? I go grab the bag, sit down, and say "heck with it". :LOL:

My vice-du-jour was Stacy's cinnamon sugar pita chips. :pig:

Date Nut Bread and cream cheese sandwiches. Nuff said. :wub:
Ooo, Boston brown bread. :yum: My Mom used to bake it in her free-standing roaster when she had time, or bought the canned one made by B&M when she didn't. With raisins, please, and cream cheese.

My weakness is sour cream and onion Ruffles I use to scoop up cottage cheese. I've banned myself from bringing the chips home.

Whatever I open up to munch on when I'm doing something online. If the bag is on the table next to me, my hand goes bag-to-mouth-to-bag until I seem to run out. :ohmy: I've learned over the years to take a small dish, count out the listed "serving size", and put the bag in the pantry. That way, if I want more to munch on, I have to pick myself up and go get more. Sometime that shames me to stick with the one serving. Other times? I go grab the bag, sit down, and say "heck with it". :LOL:

My vice-du-jour was Stacy's cinnamon sugar pita chips. :pig:

Ooo, Boston brown bread. :yum: My Mom used to bake it in her free-standing roaster when she had time, or bought the canned one made by B&M when she didn't. With raisins, please, and cream cheese.

My mother used to make her brown bread in her Chase and Sanborn coffee can. My parents didn't drink coffee, so she got the can from a neighbor. She treasured that coffee can.

Back
Top Bottom