"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Head Chef

Does not matter a bit.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I have heard stories of people getting warranty service on LC cookware that they purchased used at flea markets and garage sales. I haven't looked into this to verify its truth, but you may want to consider it if you're buying the used stuff.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I bought a Le Creuset frying pan for a lot of money. It was supposed to be non-stick but after about a year things started to stick. I always used silicon or wooden utensils so it wasn't me!
Their casseroles on the other hand are superb.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Head Chef

I looked at these the other day, and will probably go back today and at least get the fry pan. ALDI - Home page
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I looked at these the other day, and will probably go back today and at least get the fry pan. ALDI - Home page
Joe, thanks for posting this. It's worth investigating, so I'll wear my best trenchcoat. I'm sort of liking that 5 quart braiser.

I used my three quart casserole pan for the first time a couple of days ago. It has been so long since I used cast iron, that I had forgotten how well it retains heat. I will have to adjust my cooking times and temperatures accordingly.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
I bought a Le Creuset frying pan for a lot of money. It was supposed to be non-stick but after about a year things started to stick. I always used silicon or wooden utensils so it wasn't me!
Their casseroles on the other hand are superb.
It's likely because of high heat, which is a real killer on non-stick surfaces. LC will likely stand behind it, so it'd be worth the phone call or email to inquire.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Master Chef

I like my Lodge enamel cast iron dutch oven and my Tramontina dutch oven ( smaller)
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
Head Chef

I also have a Rachael Ray DO that I got at Kohls. Only bought it because it was on sale and we had a 30% off coupon. Otherwise, it's not worth $59.95. I make chili in it as well as NYT bread. I just removed the knob and replaced it with steel, and bake NYT at 450 F with no problems.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I love my growing collection of Orange Flame Descoware! Most from 1970's and in good usable condition. Cooks well, not too heavy to lift, as some newer brands, like Le Creuset.

I have paid from $3.50 to $65.00 per piece, depending on the size and how badly I wanted it. I actually got a "3 Quart Cobalt Blue Le Creuset round Dutch Oven" with a hairline crack in the lid, so it wasn't perfect ... for $3.50!! It actually weighs more than my 5 Quart oval Descoware Dutch Oven though, so my bad back prefers the DESCOWARE!

I love shopping around!

Candy
Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarx2 View Post
I love my growing collection of Orange Flame Descoware! Most from 1970's and in good usable condition. Cooks well, not too heavy to lift, as some newer brands, like Le Creuset. I love shopping around!
Candy
I have lots of yellow and flame Descoware! And I have as much red and yellow Copco, along with a few pieces of flame Le Creuset.

I have 8 french onion soup casseroles by Le Creuset in brown.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote