"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
Sous Chef

If there is a recipe card. Often the recipe is in someone's head and they can't give you amounts becase they just "eyeball" it.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Master Chef

Charlotte, most French-Canadians I know would have sage in the dressing as well.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

Pap's pressure-cooked ham, cabbage and potatoes. it melts in your mouth.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #14
Senior Cook

turkey dressing recipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Charlotte, most French-Canadians I know would have sage in the dressing as well.
Unless, as in my family and extended family, NO ONE likes sage - so they always omit it from any recipe... that one we knew about from way back...

Funny thing is, I married an English Canadian and he also does NOT like sage, which suits me just fine!

Thanks, though, that could have been it...

I like the comments about there being NO recipe cards, no written-down recipes and people eye-balling it for quantities, that is alll so true! My reaction to that: in the early years of our marriage I tended to measure EVERYTHING very accurately and drove my hubby nuts!! LOL He is very thankful that I have relaxed... and I started a notebook in December 1980, where I write long-hand all the recipes that we love as a family, and as the years go by I add the variations...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #15
Master Chef

I'm still terrible about not being able to come up with measurements, much to the chagrin of many of my freinds who want to know how I made this or that. Backtracking and trying to turn it into a recipe is a bear. As much as I love my (pretty large) collection of cookbooks, my tendency is to look up 2-4 recipes for a dish I want to make, then do my own version of a combination. Old family "recipes" are funny, too, in that quite often my extended family likes my version better and I'll have a hard time remembering what I did to make it different from mom's, aunts', memere's, gram's. Usually it's something small -- I put garlic in my tourtiere; I put thyme in my pea soup. I've tried to write it all down, but in fact most in my generation aren't that much into cooking, and the younger generation ... well, forget it!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Claire, take notes to help you remember when you find a tweak you like.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Taking notes is a geat idea. The cookbooks belong to you so go ahead and write in them. I'll note if I changed something or how well we liked it or what I would do different of I were to make it again.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I always write notes in my cookbooks, as I often will add things to the book's recipe to make it even tastier. I will also note whether a recipe is a "do again" or not. I even note if the prep time is longer than the recipe states. I'm pretty fast in the kitchen, but some of the prep times given are just unrealistic. I like watching Rachael Ray's 30 min. meals, but I don't think I could in a million years ever prepare one of her meals in the 30 min. time frame. Also, it's true what others of you said about not knowing specific measurements. I kind of eyeball things and just guesstimate (?) quantities.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Oh I just remembered another one, sort of. My dad said an old timer told him the secret to steaks and lamb chops was to rub garlic directly on the bone part. He said the garlic diffuses through the bone and into the meat...

I dunno about that but my friends said that steaks always tasted different at my house.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Claire, I find that a number of my cookbooks are borrowed from friends and family - so I don't write in them, but I use sticky notes and place them near the recipe I want to make notes about. I know it takes more time to try and remember after the fact - and sometimes it's impossible - so as I am doing my changed, I write them on the sticky notes...