"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #41
Head Chef

Hello lulu,
A jam I'd forgotten all about was one I used to buy years ago at the outdoor market in Macclesfield made by someone in the WI. Just the kind of jam that might appeal to you - rhubarb and ginger. Now that really is my all time favourite, but sadly unable to make it myself. I've tried to grow several rhubarb plants but the Spanish climate doesn't seem to suit them at all.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Hardly anyone in the UK eats greengages now, as far as I can tell. It'll soon be the season here in Spain and I'm already looking forward to it. They have a really alluring perfume and just the right balance of sweet and sharpness.
You mean that super markets don't stock them often! In markets and greengrocers they are still very popular in season. Hopefully the resurgence of interest in local produce will promote this even more.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Snoop Puss: I have friends in Cornwall, Kent, Sussex and Wiltshire - all grow greengages and all make wonderful jams and greengage tarts! Must just be where you used to live in the UK that they aren't popular. Granted, as Lulu said, they are not common in supermarkets, although Sainsbury, Tesco and Asda sell them locally to me. The season is very short, though.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #44
Head Chef

Ishbel, add Somerset to your list...we have two very young greengage trees there, but it will be a whiole before there is a crop big enough to make it worth making jam.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #45
Cook

When I was a lot younger my grandma used to make this jelly out of what we called "choke cherries." i've never heard of that type of cherry since then. They grew in eastern canada and taste kind of sour strait off the tree. But the jelly was really good. Has anyone ever heard of choke cherries? From what I remember there were quite smaller than a normal cherry
Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Never heard of that expression - but there are Italian 'sour' cherries which are best preserved or canned - they are Morello Cherries - I always use tins of them when making the British classic 'Cherries Jubilee'.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

chock cherry

My sister here in california has a tree of them, its a wild type of cherry, the
tree that she has is a small tree in height about shoulder high. It gives alot
of small cherries each year and she makes some good jam out of them.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

anything homemade - apricot is yummy and last year made a peach marmelade that was so good hope i saved the recipe. i usually make oodles of strawberry but am getting rather tired of it also, now that it is just DH and I we don't eat that much strawberry - would you believe when the four kids were home and i made s. jam i put in quart jars, boy did that ever go fast
Joyce
Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripliancum
When I was a lot younger my grandma used to make this jelly out of what we called "choke cherries." i've never heard of that type of cherry since then. They grew in eastern canada and taste kind of sour strait off the tree. But the jelly was really good. Has anyone ever heard of choke cherries? From what I remember there were quite smaller than a normal cherry
Sure have. It is the Prunus Virginiana so called as it was first identified there. The trees grow in Saskatchewan and my Grandmother made choke cherry wine too. The trees grow wild throughout most of Canada as well as much of Eastern and central USA. It is called choke cherry because when eaten raw it causes a choking reflex.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #50
Head Chef

I was just looking through my family cookbook and found a recipe for Colorado Choke Cherry-Apple Jam!