"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #291
Certified Pretend Chef

Tried TJ's pork shu mai a couple of times. Really good and easy as pie to prepare.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #292
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tried TJ's pork shu mai a couple of times. Really good and easy as pie to prepare.
They're good but they are totally exactly what you can get in any Asian market.

Here's a really good idea that my Chinese friend and colleague Yashan told me, to serve any kind of shumai, wontons and similar. You can take them out of the fridge frozen, put equal amounts of soy sauce and rice vinegar in a pan and heat it up, then flash fry/steam the shumai/wontons until they're thoroughly warmed, and serve them with the pan juices over. As the wontons or shumai cook, the pan juices reduce into a nice sauce. The vinegar gives them a nice bite.

In my career particularly the last few years I have enjoyed working with and becoming friends with many immigrant engineers and I often acquire great food ideas from them. Yashan throws some pretty mean Java code too, and that's good! (She's a software engineer in the medical devices industry.)

Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #293
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
There was a short news item on our local TV station this weekend. Dunkin Donuts is having a run on Pumpkin anything. Donuts, muffins, drinks, Pumpkin Latte, etc. It seems that Pumpkin is the IN flavor of the year. Once the pumpkin growing season is over, it is going to be hard to find it on the shelves. I would suggest that those of you who like pumpkin, buy a bunch of small ones right after Halloween and start freezing the meat from them. The price drops drastically on Noveber 1st. The small ones are the sweet ones and suitable for eating and cooking. I would suggest that you freeze it in 16 oz. containers. Most recipes call for that amount. Imagine waking up to some pumpkin/cranberry muffins on a cold Sunday February morning. Wouldn't it be nice to bring a couple of dozen to church for the social after service coffee hour? I will be using what I have on hand to make the pumpkin/cranberry bread for the church fair in November.
I've never seen so many pumpkin spice products as I've seen this year, and I'm really happy about that. I had a pumpkin donut and a pumpkin iced coffee at dunkin' and they were really good. The donut was excellent and spiced perfectly to my taste buds.

I have 15 cans of pumpkin in my pantry.... But that's not unusual for me.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #294
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
They're good but they are totally exactly what you can get in any Asian market.

Here's a really good idea that my Chinese friend and colleague Yashan told me, to serve any kind of shumai, wontons and similar. You can take them out of the fridge frozen, put equal amounts of soy sauce and rice vinegar in a pan and heat it up, then flash fry/steam the shumai/wontons until they're thoroughly warmed, and serve them with the pan juices over. As the wontons or shumai cook, the pan juices reduce into a nice sauce. The vinegar gives them a nice bite...
I have bought pork shu mai at my local Asian market and they are good and just about the same.

Thanks for the tip on preparation. I'll try that with the next batch.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #295
Half Baked

The pear cider is back! Pretty darn good warm. Thier gingerbread mix they were sampling is a winner too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #296
Master Chef

About time! ..lol..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74175_10151448245518885_1052141008_n.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	16888  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #297
Executive Chef

As of the last week, "two buck Chuck" has become "Two and a quarter buck Chuck" here in California. The $1.99 bottles are now $2.25 per 750 mL bottle. The market chain cited their long history of holding the price, along with increased production costs which eventually forced the approx. 12% price increase, the first in a dozen years.

But no sizzle here. "Two and a quarter buck Chuck" doesn't have the cachet of $2/bottle.

But I'm still buying it
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #298
Master Chef

We have some new favs: beef tamales and cheese and green chile tamales.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #299
Executive Chef

They're carrying my favorite crystallized ginger again. I've made this myself, peel fresh ginger and slice it, simmer it in a very sugary syrup (I forgot how much, at least 50/50 sugar/water), then remove the ginger pieces from the syrup and dry them in a rack, or toss them in sugar then dry them, depending on how much sugar you prefer.

By the way, try some of that New Zealand wine, particularly the Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region. If somebody blindfolded me and had me taste it without knowing what I was I would have guessed Chardonnay. The SV seems to have qualities of both varieties of wine. This is great for me because my recent wine taste tends towards both the SV and the Char, and the Marlborough SV seems to satisfy both my tastes.

Oh and also, TJ's Colombian coffee beans have been my favorite coffee for years.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #300
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
They're carrying my favorite crystallized ginger again. I've made this myself, peel fresh ginger and slice it, simmer it in a very sugary syrup (I forgot how much, at least 50/50 sugar/water), then remove the ginger pieces from the syrup and dry them in a rack, or toss them in sugar then dry them, depending on how much sugar you prefer.

By the way, try some of that New Zealand wine, particularly the Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region. If somebody blindfolded me and had me taste it without knowing what I was I would have guessed Chardonnay. The SV seems to have qualities of both varieties of wine. This is great for me because my recent wine taste tends towards both the SV and the Char, and the Marlborough SV seems to satisfy both my tastes.

Oh and also, TJ's Colombian coffee beans have been my favorite coffee for years.
I routinely stop by TJs for a sample size of coffee before work.