"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Favorite Mac and cheese recipe?

It's cold here. I am craving mac and cheese. This was something that came from a box when I was growing up--I have a "void" re: how to make it from scratch. I like mine with some "hot" so am thinking of adding jalepeno peppers and onions, dash of Frank's Red sauce. I am thinking the cheese sauce would be nice re: philly cheese, shredded cheddar (don't have any monterey jack), evap. milk, a bit of flour to thicken. Baked--maybe topped with seasoned bread crumbs.

I like a creamy mac and cheese. Anyone have what they claim would be the "best ever" mac and cheese recipe (no canned soups, please or velveeta or american cheese--don't have those--don't eat those).

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It's cold here. I am craving mac and cheese. This was something that came from a box when I was growing up--I have a "void" re: how to make it from scratch. I like mine with some "hot" so am thinking of adding jalepeno peppers and onions, dash of Frank's Red sauce. I am thinking the cheese sauce would be nice re: philly cheese, shredded cheddar (don't have any monterey jack), evap. milk, a bit of flour to thicken. Baked--maybe topped with seasoned bread crumbs.

I like a creamy mac and cheese. Anyone have what they claim would be the "best ever" mac and cheese recipe (no canned soups, please or velveeta or american cheese--don't have those--don't eat those).

Thanks!
Mac & Cheese and Pimento Cheese can be many flavors. I like some softened cream cheese, Colby/Jack is very flavorful. Parmessan gives it a nice kick/bite. Cheddar can be mild or sharp. Play with different cheeses. Use lots of different kinds together. YUMMY!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
I like mine with some "hot"
CWS, I made mac and cheese the other day and added some canned chunky salsa, then topped it with buttered panko bread crumbs. Turned out really good.

I've made Martha Stewarts famous M&C and the recipe is excellent...

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...oni-and-cheese

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I don't really use a recipe. I make it often enough that I just wing it, but Alton Brown's recipe is very close to the way I make it: Alton Brown's Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe - Food.com - 107712 .

I don't care for breadcrumb topping so I leave it out and just top it with grated cheese. To kick it up, I'd use a little cayenne pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon should do it) or red pepper flakes (1/4 teaspoon or so). Be sure not to leave out the dry mustard. It also gives a little kick, and is important to the overall flavor. You can also add a little worchestershire sauce if you like (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon).

Use a decent quality sharp cheddar. Kraft's Cracker Barrel (gold label) is fine, you don't need to break the bank.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I don't personally care for the man, himself, as he is like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I have to say that Emeril's 4 cheese Mac N Cheese is just about the best I've ever made. I do not make any substitutions for the cheeses. I use authentic Gruyere, Fontina, Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar (our favorite comes from Cedar Grove in Southwest WI and it can be ordered online) and Parmigiano-Reggiano. The hot sauce (I use Frank's) gives it just the right amount of heat. This is a fattening favorite in our house, especially of my dd's. We don't eat highly processed frankenfood either.

Macaroni with 4 Cheeses! Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I use evaporated milk to make a creamy mac & cheese.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use a can of cream soup, usually chicken or celery, to melt the cheeses in.

Evaporated milk works fine and adds a creaminess, milk too, just don't use so much that your cheese sauce is too thin.

If your sauce is too thin, the cheese will puddle in the bottom and not stick to the macaroni.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I like that idea, Z.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I like that idea, Z.
+1

Cream of mushroom sounds good to me.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I like that idea, Z.
The time I made that mistake, I corrected it by adding more and more cheese, but the good thing is that I ended up with a double batch of cheese sauce and had enough for other dishes.

Since then, I try for a double batch, adding in only half to the macaroni and mixing it up to make sure I have enough, then save the rest. If I don't use it within a few days, I freeze it.

Tags
cheese, recipe