"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sorry, sorry....I think this IS that thread...
Should not post while sleepy...

Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Should not post while sleepy...

Or asleep...

Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Like you, I don't cook much from recipes (unless I'm baking). Rather than teach specific recipes, I would probably teach him a few basic techniques:

• How to cook eggs
  • How to know when meat is done
  • How to cook pasta and rice
  • How to steam or stir fry veggies
  • How to follow a recipe

I know the last one sounds sort of vague, but I would find out what kind of foods he's interested in, show him where to find recipes on the internet, and then walk him through a couple. Once people learn recipes, it gives them the confidence to try some things on their own.
+1 here. I thought the same thing. One technique my mom taught me that is not covered would be how to make a basic white sauce that can then be modified into gravies and cheese sauces. I'm always impressed with anyone who makes their own bread since that is a skill I've not mastered so that might be something too.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
+1 here. I thought the same thing. One technique my mom taught me that is not covered would be how to make a basic white sauce that can then be modified into gravies and cheese sauces. I'm always impressed with anyone who makes their own bread since that is a skill I've not mastered so that might be something too.
White sauce is one of the first things I remember we learned to make in home ec. I can definitely teach him how to make bread, but I've gotten lazy and use the stand mixer or the bread machine to make the dough--but pizza dough might be something to make. Pie crust was on my list because I think everyone should know how to make pie crust (bread and pie crust were two things my grandma taught me before I was 10 years old, along with lefse).
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
Master Chef

On the other hand, bread is easily purchased and not for a beginner cook in my opinion. The same goes for pie crusts. He can purchase a pie or buy a ready made crust. It sounds like this guy probably wants to learn how to put some simple meals together rather than get into advanced cooking. You don't want to overwhelm him if he knows little about cooking. I'd also point out to him that there's a wealth of cooking videos out there for great recipes. One of my favorites is Food Wishes Video Recipes
Chef John does a very nice professional job with them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree with Kayelle. I don't find the daily need for making bread or piecrust. Others already do it much better. Also, Knorr makes wonderful hollandaise and bernaise sauce in a packet. I would concentrate on teaching good, basic meals.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
On the other hand, bread is easily purchased and not for a beginner cook in my opinion. The same goes for pie crusts. He can purchase a pie or buy a ready made crust. It sounds like this guy probably wants to learn how to put some simple meals together rather than get into advanced cooking. You don't want to overwhelm him if he knows little about cooking. I'd also point out to him that there's a wealth of cooking videos out there for great recipes. One of my favorites is Food Wishes Video Recipes
YES! Chef john does an excellent job and doesn't over complicate things, I really enjoy his videos.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Agreed. I wouldn't call any kind of baking skills "go to".
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
Cupcake

Quote:
I'd ask him what he likes to eat first. It makes no sense to teach him how to cook something he has no interest in eating.

Having said that, most people like chicken and the roast chicken is a great start, with leftover dishes to follow. I'd also teach him about brine for chicken and pork.
I agree with Kayelle.

That being said, here are my five Go-Tos:

Potato Soup - cures everything from colds to heartbreak.
Banana Pudding - Awesome for potlucks and most seem to like it.
Pasta with white clam sauce - I always keep the ingredients on-hand and can get it on the table from start to finish in less than 15 minutes.
Beef Stew with fried bread - Just like Momma made and I can have it cook in a crock-pot all day.
Stuffed Peppers or Soup Beans - Channels all of my maternal ancestors.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
I agree 100% about the videos!

This guy has been a big inspiration to me!

James Strange - YouTube

Nothing wrong with a little home cooking!

Tags
recipe