"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Food Grade Lavender

So a few years ago, a friend of mine made a lavender cake, which was awesome. I was wanting to do some playing with lavender, but am having troubles finding any food grade lavender anywhere. I have tried online stores like Penzeys, and searched many of the food stores in town, but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas as to where to find this elusive ingredient?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It's not easy to find. The best way is to grow a couple of pots of it yourself. I have been growing it now for about 15 years. Nowadays, I have outdoor space, and the plants tend to last several years, growing larger and more lush each year, even though I'm in New Jersey, where I wouldn't have suspected that could happen.

I would LOVE to have the recipe for the Lavender cake, if that's possible. Would be glad to trade one for Lavender Caramel Ice Cream, which I am compelled to make at least once a summer under penalty of death from friends.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

The Spice House has it. They are an offshoot of Penzey's -- sort of.

Lavender Flower Buds, Food Grade, Dried

I just spend about a million dolars there this weekend and it was all really fresh, tasty and cheap.

Like June said, it is also very easy to grow on your own.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you, definitely going to go look. I will have to track down the friend sometime and find the recipe, it was for her birthday cake, and I fell in love with the flavor. From what I have heard, Lavender makes great custards as well. Not to mention using it in teas, etc. I just want to play with it, it seems like a very promising, under-used herb. The Ice Cream recipe definitely sounds delicious.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

This recipe sounds lovely......, and I grow lavender. I wonder if I could make it without the usual baking disaster.....

http://novice-baker.blogspot.com/200...real-deal.html

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

My band sometimes plays in Sequim WA at the lavender festival. The street vendors there sell the most amazing collection of festival food with lavender. lemonade, chocolate, pies, Duck tacos w/ lavender, ice-cream, etc. The locals call it catnip for women.....

:)
Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My band sometimes plays in Sequim WA at the lavender festival. The street vendors there sell the most amazing collection of festival food with lavender. lemonade, chocolate, pies, Duck tacos w/ lavender, ice-cream, etc. The locals call it catnip for women.....

:)
"catnip for women"...... Isn't that the truth!! I have dreams of rolling in a lavender field in the south of France.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
"catnip for women"...... Isn't that the truth!! I have dreams of rolling in a lavender field in the south of France.
...and there's enough of it there in the summer that you could do that!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Flour Child

kayelle, you nut

I have a question....what makes Lavender "Food Grade"? Is there a Lavender that is NOT "Food Grade"? If so, why so?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
kayelle, you nut

I have a question....what makes Lavender "Food Grade"? Is there a Lavender that is NOT "Food Grade"? If so, why so?

Much of the lavender grown today is sold for fragrance. This lavender is treated with chemicals that render it unsafe for consumption.