"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #561
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
Haha, Harry, you remembered that I love watermelon. During the summer when we went through an entire week of 115F/46C weather, I had this for dinner more than once, I'll admit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	18964  
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #562
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
GotGarlic, that meatloaf and mashed dinner looks amazing. I'm craving meatloaf now.

Harry, your black bean chicken looks, and sounds so good. I love the step by step photos. And what a great idea of the upside down use of your steamer! I will have to remember that. Perfect for when things don't quite fit in the steamer basket.

Ditto on Sir Loin's photos, I could only see the latte one as well. Looks great though, and I want a set of those glass mugs. :-)
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #563
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've got that same steamer basket, Harry.
Did you lay the chicken pieces on top of it or are they underneath and you put something else on top? I'm trying to understand the inverted concept...

It looks like a delicious and FLAVORFUL meal.
Thanks for the pics.
packed a punch of flavour to be sure...thanks pac!!
right,the steamer,,you know it's got legs that normally rest on the bottom of the pan & keep the basket clear of the water,well,you put the steamer in the pan upsidedown & then put the bowl of food to cooked on the legs.it raises the food closer to the top of the pan where the steam is hotter & more dense.it's a chinese technique to steam the food more quickly.the food is sealed in the bowl using foil but the foil is fitted with the shiny side nearest to the food,that way the foil keeps the food moist but doesn't reflect as much heat away from the food,thus helping it to cook more quickly....ta dahh!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #564
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Haha, Harry, you remembered that I love watermelon. During the summer when we went through an entire week of 115F/46C weather, I had this for dinner more than once, I'll admit.
of course i remembered....i also seem to remember asking you to marry me the first time i saw your food...offer's still on the table now that i've seen your prawns
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #565
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
What a nifty method. Kind of like a double broiler effect using steam and high temp instead of water and low temp. A vessel within a vessel. And you don't have to worry about the liquid licking the food if you have a bit too much in. Super.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #566
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
GotGarlic, that meatloaf and mashed dinner looks amazing. I'm craving meatloaf now.

Harry, your black bean chicken looks, and sounds so good. I love the step by step photos. And what a great idea of the upside down use of your steamer! I will have to remember that. Perfect for when things don't quite fit in the steamer basket.

Ditto on Sir Loin's photos, I could only see the latte one as well. Looks great though, and I want a set of those glass mugs. :-)
just posted a reply about the steamer for pacanis.
cor blimey chezza not you as well about the latte photo's already...give the guy a break!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #567
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What a nifty method. Kind of like a double broiler effect using steam and high temp instead of water and low temp. A vessel within a vessel. And you don't have to worry about the liquid licking the food if you have a bit too much in. Super.
correctamundo pac!!spot on about the the food being kept well clear of the water,means you can boil the water as hard as you like rather than just simmering!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #568
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've got that same steamer basket, Harry.
Did you lay the chicken pieces on top of it or are they underneath and you put something else on top? I'm trying to understand the inverted concept...

It looks like a delicious and FLAVORFUL meal.
Thanks for the pics.
ditto
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #569
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
ditto
thanks tax,it was very tasty,which is a relief 'cos it's the first time i've cooked it
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #570
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
of course i remembered....i also seem to remember asking you to marry me the first time i saw your food...offer's still on the table now that i've seen your prawns
Ok now you're makin me blush.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.